• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hybrid problem? Dash cut-out AND stalls.....

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
A friend, with a stock '01, just called and explained that on three recent occasions:

1) The dash/gauges cut-out while running on the highway, then came back...

2) The engine died, he was able to pull over. Cranked a bit, waited two
minutes and it started.

3) Engine died, while running on highway, then came back on.

I have noted advice on several threads re CPS, when engine dies...

I have also noted the dash cut-out problems, where the main connector is the culprit.

Not sure, then, how the two problems might be related, and what diagnostic indications can be drawn...??

Any insights and empirical experience welcomed, and appreciated.

Sounds like a bad ground

I had the dashboard(gauge cluster and all) removed from my 98 and it ran fine when I needed to move it. I'd guess it to be two different issues.

Did the odometer display NO BUS when this happened?

Aside the TSB for the main connector, a shorted sensor can not only kill then engine but the dash gauges as well. In most cases, if not all, the NO BUS will be displayed.

The Crank Position Sensor is the most likely culprit, but could possibly be others.

CPS shouldn't affect the gauges. Sounds like the usual grounds of battery connections.

That's true. More accurately, a shorted CPS messes with the reference voltage for the ECM, which in turn interupts communication across the BUS, giving the NO BUS error code. No data across the BUS means no working gauges.

It comes up quite often. If you google it, most cases are a shorted CPS.

-

Back