• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 questions

rogersjeep

NAXJA Forum User
What motor / transmission combo produced what rearend gearing in the ford explorer?
I'm tired of crawling under them to find the 4.1 gears and a little knowledge would help my back out.

both v6 and v8 can both have 3.73 or 4.10 gears. There maybe other gear options too.
Maybe certain models, but I don't know which.
I would think there is a parts code on the door jamb or something like that which may help you, but its unknown to me.

So, after that, my post is rather worthless now isn't it.

if the axles are still in the explorer then look on the drivers door sticker and there will be an axle code. this is what the codes are Explorer
43 Open 3.08
41 Open 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73

I would spend the extra time/coin on finding the one with the gears your want. Unless your going higher than 4.10 of course.
An extra $100 for the 4.10's save you quite a bit extra down the road to switch from something else to 4.10

Well most of the JY's around here want $4-5oo for one so if I regear with used gears I can still do it for less. I dont drive it on the street that much so no major issue there.

Thanks for the codes I've seen those I was more courious about drivetrain combonations that produce what gear ratio.

if your looking for a 4.10 im pretty sure two door exploders had them and i think the v8 ones had the 3.73

Found a 4.10 with limited slipp now I need to find rotor and calipers for cheap any help there would be great.
I don't have any and dont want to pay the core charge (its more than the new calipers).

Back