• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why does the air conditioner compressor cycle with defroster on.

Almost all vehicles do that....The A/C systems stays lubricated by the compressor running. This allows distribution of the lubricant even when the A/C is not on. There's alot of recommendations like "run the A/C for 5 minutes per month, even in the winter"

I understand about removing the moisture in the summer when your AC is on. But when it is 10 degrees outside and you have ice on your window. Why would you want to remove the moisture in the air. All you want to do is blow warm air on the windshield so the ice melts.

There's still moisture in the air, ever notice the rest of your windows fog up inside when it's cold outside and your sitting inside? The moving air helps, dry air helps even more.

there is a low pressure switch and a low ambiant switch that prevent the compressor from running at temps below freezing so you will only notice the compressor cycle at temps above freezeing

newjeepowner said:
I understand about removing the moisture in the summer when your AC is on. But when it is 10 degrees outside and you have ice on your window. Why would you want to remove the moisture in the air. All you want to do is blow warm air on the windshield so the ice melts.

Well, as already mentioned... DRY air eliminates the fogging INSIDE while you're trying to defrost the outside...

As a guy who parks in an unheated garage... most of my fogging is INSIDE, when I breathe on the cold windshield.

Den

Back