• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie locker Problem

XBoBJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I put my locker in almost a month ago. well i noticed the last two days its been disengauging like crazy, when im hard on the throttle its just skips this is going in a straight line, also the worst time today about 5 mins ago the locker wouldnt even catch the rpms just went up like crazy and all heard was the locker grinding very fast paced i was driving normal too, i was accelerating but i wasnt hard on the throttle. any thoughts on this i havnt had a chance to pull the cover but it seems to be getting worse and worse

EDIT: chrysler 8.25 29 spline is what the locker is in.

also tires are at the same pressure and within 3/8" tread

Last edited:
the clearences are most likely too much between the 2 sides of the lockrite. do you have a micrometer? measure the gap and compare to the numbers you get by calling richmond gear.

same thing happened to me on my 8.25 lockrite, you may need to add a thrust washer or 2

aussie, lockrite. its all the same.

i'd also be willing to bet that some of the springs or pins have fallen out if there is too much of a gap

x2, what he said. They're not supposed to do that!! Sometimes the aussie in my D44 makes more clicking than usual. That's just a reminder that one of the rear tires has a slow leak and it's time to fix the pressure!!

I'd order a spring/pin kit. Did you measure the clearances during installation and write them down like it says for you to get the no questions asked warranty? If you didn't the first time, I would this time!

okay just took it out, everything was in there fine and all the measurments were in spec i took a pic of the gears....
locker1.jpg

locker2.jpg

locker3.jpg

locker5.jpg

correct, i dont know what would of caused that tho, ive wheeled it once, had it for maybe 2 months heres the exact measurements i had zero problems up untill now....

between spacers and pinion shaft= .017 thousandths. (SPEC=.006-.020)
Center gap .160 thousandths. (SPEC= .145- .170)

tires were both at 30 and theres no where its 3/8 tread difference.
sucks i loved this locker too and aussie is such a great company, i dont know what else to check ill call them tomorrow...

Last edited:
yeah like i said i dont know, i JUST took these measurements while i was taking it out, i checked them when i first put it in and it was fine. im going to give them a call.

Damn,Those look like they are 10yrs old,bummer!My No-slip is 8yrs now and still look brand new(and its been put through HELL).

ouch, that sucks dude!! hope you can get it worked out with the warranty and whatnot.

good luck

Yeah, they are great little lockers, and as far as I know, or have heard, they are really good with the warranty, so hopefully you'll get the same service :)

It really looked like you may have other issues. Metal debris ? Magnet? How did it look?

how aligned were the syncros when you took everything out? or do aussie lockers not use those?

Back