• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cleaning and lubricating door latches

I think he means what is the best lubricant to use... get a grip.

Ehall, I like the general purpose grease that you can get by the tub, but that is kind of messy at times... the silicone spray lube seems to last longer than WD40, but I don't like that either... for the hinges and latches I would use a grease... Spray degreaser or brake cleaner is a good cleaner...

Ehall,can we see that on the picture in your Avatar? The doors are missing.

I use for the lubrication of the doors:Synthetic Grease with Syncolon: SuperLube.
It is clear,impervious to salt water, temp stable. :eyes:

Last edited:
Spray it down good with brake cleaner then rinse real good to get any internal junk out, then if you can find it use lithium grease in an aerosol can. I used that on my latches the first time they froze up in the open position and haven't had any trouble since.

In Maryland the synthetic grease would likely be a better idea, Lithium can get real stiff at low temperatures.
I actually squirt some synthetic motor oil in there and then spray Lithium, for the simple reason I can't find any spray synthetic grease.
If I had them out, I'd pack them in synthetic grease.

on the door subject i have some serious gaps between my doors and the b pillar.

its a 91 2dr. does anyone have advice on how to remedy the situation?

on the door subject i have some serious gaps between my doors and the b pillar.

its a 91 2dr. does anyone have advice on how to remedy the situation?

B-pillar is the one behind the front row seating (where the seat belts are attached), so if you are fine up front and have a gap in the rear just adjust the striker. There is a 19mm nut on the striker, loosen it, move the striker in towards the body, and tighten it down again.

If you mean the A-pillar in front of the front row seating then you will need to repair your hinges.

Thanks for the advice guys, I would not have thought of brake cleaner but I bet that will work great. Right now the latches and door checks are covered in a kind of wax substance which appears to be plain old grease that has gone bad over the years, so I have to pick/spray them to get them clean again. Silicon grease sounds like a good idea. I see that lithium is recommended for locks everywhere but it does not usually get plugged as the right solution for latches.

B-pillar is the one behind the front row seating (where the seat belts are attached), so if you are fine up front and have a gap in the rear just adjust the striker. There is a 19mm nut on the striker, loosen it, move the striker in towards the body, and tighten it down again.

If you mean the A-pillar in front of the front row seating then you will need to repair your hinges.

DOH! He's right, I was thinking about the A-pillar... And adjusting that striker is like a thirty second job... My mom could do it, so hopefully that's all your problem is...

Back