• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Autolocking hubs

Headshot

NAXJA Forum User
Im having problems with my auto locking hubs deactivating...ive never had auto hubs...and having them stay lockd while driving on the highway isnt good lol,...id rather just switch to manual hubs if anybody can point me in the right direction thatd be nice

Im having problems with my auto locking hubs deactivating...ive never had auto hubs...and having them stay lockd while driving on the highway isnt good lol,...id rather just switch to manual hubs if anybody can point me in the right direction thatd be nice
no auto hubs, they are always turning

Your Jeep does not have locking hubs, it has unit bearings. There is nothing to worry about in regards to the shafts turning so long as you're not in 4wd on pavement.

find somewhere slippery and see forsure!a posi rear might make it feel like its binding. my 8.8 hates really sharp turns

It is common for the Transfer case to not release completely.

When switchng from 4WD to 2WD, I recomend backing up a bit, then going forward.

They are right, you do not have locking hubs.
Early Cherokees had a vacuum disconnect on the passender side which moved a coupler to release the passenger side axle. After a while, Jeep decided that the friction of one axle turning in gearlubs was about the same as two axles spinning in gear lube and deleted the assembly.

True manual hubs are very expensive to install, and not considered worth it for day to day driving.

Transfer cases are either full time, or part time. The part time box has positions 2HI, 4HI, N, 4Lo.

if its vacume disconnect then i might have a problem because my jeep is missing my vacume tube

what year and transfercase do you have. the axle disconnected was used with the 231 case(and i believe the 207 case in the 84-86 dana 30 xjs) in 87- 90/91 when it was discontinued.

if its missing the vacuum line to the front axle disconnect than you should have the problem your describing because it takes vacuum to engage the disconnect, unless you have a bad hub or the brakes are dragging.

Back