• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog Light Suggestions

RSchurig356

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ Classic without any fog lamps. I do a lot of two-lane, late night driving with a lot of deer. I would like some fog lamps that can spread a lot of light so I can see whats hanging out in front of me. I prefer lamps that can fit into the stock location. You guys got any suggestions or pics of some of your setups?

sorry no pics but i drilled two holes in the underside of my bumper and bolted up 2 KC 5x7s. ive got a 96 so theres no plastic down there like your 2000 but they may fit in your stock places. might have to trim off an inch or two

i got these because they have a good output (better than my highbeams) and they come with 3 lenses: driving, fog, and amber

x2 on hella 500s. i like mine to go with my headlight upgrade...also another thing to look into for a bit more lighting

The only problem doing it this way is when you run into a snow bank, you will break them off or push them back.
The stock location is allways better or above the bumper.

the stock position on the 97+ are under the bumper, unless you include the plastic underneath it as part of the bumper. yeah i plan on relocating them to in front of the grill soon since as you said, snow banks arent too friendly.

I'm running some hella ff50's they mount easy in the stock location and provided lots of light when my factory fog switch worked. Now I'm looking for a new fog switch because the dealers in canada are outrageous and want almost $90 just for the switch.

So, wait...Fog lights or driving lights?...sounds like you need driving lights..

Fog light beams are shorter than regular headlights...meaning that the main beam is suppose to highlight the areas close to the front of the vehicle. In this case you want the lights mounted relatively low...like under the bumber...usually

Driving lights put out a beam greater than your headlights and even hi-beams. So, you'll want to mount them higher...like above the bumper...say on a bull bar.

Driving lights are illegal in some states so that's why you don't see them as OEM equipment.

I would like driving lights, but I would prefer to mount them in the stock location for a cleaner look and so I don't have to drill into the bumper.

On my 96, there are already 2 holes in the top of the bumper. That's where I mounted my lights.

I would make the recommendation though to talk to Tony (tcm_glx) on here. He can hook you up with some HID conversion headlights. They're actual HID bulbs put in an E-code housing. For an example of before/after shots, check out this month's issue of Jp. I don't know if it's the same brand but the difference is huge.

So, wait...Fog lights or driving lights?...sounds like you need driving lights..

Fog light beams are shorter than regular headlights...meaning that the main beam is suppose to highlight the areas close to the front of the vehicle. In this case you want the lights mounted relatively low...like under the bumber...usually

Driving lights put out a beam greater than your headlights and even hi-beams. So, you'll want to mount them higher...like above the bumper...say on a bull bar.

Driving lights are illegal in some states so that's why you don't see them as OEM equipment.

thebrick is correct here. Fog lights will be useless for what you want to do. My factory fog lights won't outshine my low beams. You need DRIVING lights for what you want to do (throw a lot of light up ahead were the deer are...that was my goal). I mounted Hella 700FF (larger than Hella 500's) on top of my bumper, spaced as close to the headlights as possible. They throw a great amount of light from just in front of the Jeep out to 400 to 500 feet (useful range) to over 1000 feet (reflective range). If adjusted correctly, they will light up both sides of a country road (24 feet wide). My driving lights are interconnected through the hi beam circuit and won't come on unless the hi beams are on. I can also shut them off with the Hella light switch.

Fran

fogs/driving....whatever the technicallity is...round lights on the bumper?!!

The stock location sucks. Even if you don't wheel, if you hit a snowbank, or hit one of them parking blocks too hard, you're fog/driving/whatever they're called lights are busted!!

I recommend putting them right on top of the bumper. In MA, the state laws say they have to be below the headlights (on the bumper is key) and less than 55watts to be street legal. Anything above headlights or above 55watts is not street legal. These laws vary by state (was it VA or WV that didn't allow the sale of the renegade KJ becaue of the lights on the roof?) but generally speaking, 55watts on the bumper should be kosher wherever you may roam.

Hellas are the standard, and they work great, but IMO, they're a little over-priced. I have a set on one of my XJs and I love them...other than the part that the lens is not replaceable!!

My recommendation is the pro-comp 55s. They're cheap, I can't tell the difference between the light coming off of them vs. the hellas, AND if you break the lens (decide to test bumper strength of yours vs. your friends, etc.) or they break any which way, you can replace just the lens!! You can get different pattern lens' too, like long range or diffused light...maybe even a yellow lens too, not positive about that. But the new lens' are like 6 bux. You really can't beat that!!

There are others, but IMO, those are the best bang for your buck choices.

OH, wait, forgot one more option....back in college when my roommate who used to love to get his exploder stuck trying to follow me wanted some extra light, we got a set of cheap-o lights from walmart. They were small rectangles, maybe 2.5" across, had a yellowish tint to the glass, and I think he got the whole kit for 20 bux. You could install those in the stock location. I was quite surprised at how good of light they put out! I thought they were ricer type things when I was installing them but they turned out to be real good cheap-o lights. I've actually been meaning to find some and install them as rock lights/reverse lights on one of my XJs!

mjma, thanks for the info on the procomp 55 i think i might get a pair for my rig...so cheap!
EDIT: what is the difference between fluted light and the spot light? what applications would you use either one?[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Last edited:
Well, if memory serves me right...spot light is just that...the beam pattern is a single spot.

Fluted is where the light is 'channeled' out...instead of one single intense light beam like with a spot light...fluted has the light put out in multiple streams/beams to create a larger dispersion pattern, so that a larger area is lit up.

There are driving lights that have a combination of both...it just a matter of lense and reflector design.

From what I understand, spot lights can be at any orientation...top, bottom, sideways. But fluted light have to mounted in a particular orientation for the best results.

Just buy a set of headlights that are an " UPGRADE " or " XTRAVISION " at your local parts store. It will make a huge difference from the stock headlights

On my 95' I just ended up using two Wal-Mart specials mounted in the factory location for the earlier body style. They were 55w driving lights and they actually worked rather well. I ended up drilling two more holes evenly spaced between the factory ones and added another pair of the same cheapo lights and now I have no trouble seeing the road at night, including the shoulder, it's vastly superior to my crappy factory headlights alone, I just have to remember to be polite and turn them off for oncoming cars. Building on the idea of upgrading the factory lights, you could also upgrade the factory headlight's wiring, yeilding better output even from the factory lamps. Here's a good write up for you to check out on it...

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

It's from Go-Jeep's site, it's full of tons more useful info in addition to this great write-up.

I did the GoJeep loom and a pair of Hella 85/100s in the stock lamp locations. I can see a mile down the road now.

I saw the deer jump right over the city fence and land 10 feet in front of me, too. She thought she could outrun me, I hoped so too as I slammed on the brakes. Not.

Now I have a more expensive headlight to replace. I'm not sure I gained a thing, but I love those bright lights.

At least I only have to replace one, not four. Food for thought.

Back