• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock tow bar?

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
I was at the junk yard this past weekend with my wife and we stumbled upon this neat little item...

drings2.jpg

drings3.jpg

drings.jpg

Curious if this would be possible to use, and throw some D-rings where the tabs come out and use that as a front end recovery point. Just not sure on its mounting points to the frame if that will be sufficient enough to handle the tugging if a recovery is ever needed. As you can see it's mounted below the bumper and sticks out the skirt.

Sorry, but the photos aren't quite clear enough to me, but if it's bolted to the frame rails with bracing that continues back past the bumper mounts and sway bar then it's be a good bet that d-rings would be in order. A likely bet if it was set up for a tow rig. Go for it!!

A wife that'll go to the junk yard with you is even more valuable.

Ya, the photos are from my phone and there wasn't sufficient light to get a good picture.

As you can see in the third picture, that's as far back as the device goes. That's why I'm not sure if it's sturdy enough to get yanked on. I just thought it'd be a nice cheap way to get recovery points until I can afford to build/buy a bumper w/points.

Most seriously not stock.

The Jeep was probably a tow behind as alternative transport to the RV tow.

+1

In fact that's a Blue Ox baseplate, and certainly used when being pulled by a tow vehicle and commonly an RV. I wouldn't use it for any other use as it's not made for pulling stuck vehicles, etc.

Be sure and let us know how your first recovery goes with that junkyard set-up.

Factory original or factory style aftermarket tow hook brackets are inexpensive and easy to install.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I've got the frame end piece from the OEM XJ towbar on my MJ (saw it on an XJ in the 'yard one day and grabbed it). It bolts into the towhook brackets. I'm not using it as a recovery point, rather to tie in both sides of the front framerails and towhooks.

Jeff

moved.jpg

I am looking for one of those tow bar mounts for my XJ. I am having a hard time with the $400 Camping world wants for the blue ox one. So if anybody has one, they want to part with $$$$ please let me know.

Thanks

As long as it goes back and ties into the frame rails, add Drings and have fun... If it does not tie into the frame rails, you're gonna have a really heavy steal projectile flying around one day...

Back