• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping axles...

Hellbent

NAXJA Forum User
saturday i'm going to be swapping my d44 into my '96(currently a d35) from my '87 xj. anyone got any helpful hints, btw i'll be doing this by myself on the driveway. i'm thinking: leave the wheels on, loosen, unload suspension, support vehicle, remove the axle, roll it under the other jeep, bolt it up and go. i'm not oversimplifying this, am i?

The only problem I forsee you possibly running into is the rear driveshaft length. Unless that is you already have a sye and cv shaft.

i know the 44 is longer(front to rear), i'm not thinking i'll have an issue, as i'm already running 2.5" of lift with the stock driveshaft(sye+"real" lift is in the immediate future). i'm thinking the added length of the drivetrain will equal out the lift. hopefully i'm not wrong...

Yeah how was it. I did this a couple weeks ago and I had a bunch of trouble with the emergency brakes. The axle was no problem. The drum brakes were a pita!

008.jpg

Merry Christmas to me!!!!! I'll be installing tomorrow and will let ya know how it goes! I love my wife-- best gift ever!!!

Certainly an interesting choice of colors.

As to the OP, I'm sure you have it on by now, but that's how I did mine, left the wheels on and then just rolled the old axle out.

i know the 44 is longer(front to rear), i'm not thinking i'll have an issue, as i'm already running 2.5" of lift with the stock driveshaft(sye+"real" lift is in the immediate future). i'm thinking the added length of the drivetrain will equal out the lift. hopefully i'm not wrong...

you will be fine, on my 95 i did a D35 to D44 swap and kept the D35 driveshaft, never had a problem, it actually helped cure the driveline vibes i had

Back