• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eaton G80 diff in Dana 35 axle?

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out if the Eaton G80 locker would be made to fit in a D35 axle. This is what someone else mentioned about it:

the carrier is a different size from dana 30 to 35. so will it simply bolt in , no. with some different size bearings and shims, maybe. the volvo 1031 ring and pinion is essentially a dana 35 ring and pinion with 10 bolt holes on 133mm(dana 35 has 8 on 146mm) and an i.d. for a dana 30(114.3mm) . the dana 35 ring gear i.d. is 120.7mm. the axles are the same size and spline count, 27 spline and 29.5mm . i'll do some digging and see how much of a difference there is between a dana 30 and 35 carrier.

...does it sound like it would work? What parts would I need? If anyone knows, let me know!

i am having a hard time keeping up with what you want to do.

is it for a d35 application, or some other diff?

I want to take the Eaton G80 rear locker out of my Volvo (which uses a Dana 30), and install that locker in the Dana 35 in my Jeep.

If that doesn't work, I'd consider putting it in the front of my Jeep (D30).

I know it's not the best locker out there, but it's free and I own it already. Would either of these be feasible?

Id say def do not put it in the 35, i doubt itll work seeing that a d30 aussie or any locker for that matter will NOT work in a d35. So id say focus on the possibility of fitting it in your d30, which is stronger anyway. But no, i have no idea.

No idea, but try it if you've got the stuff sitting around.

The D30 locker won't work in the D35.

Even if you can get the G80 to work in your front D30 application (which I am kinda doubting, but I don't know the Volvo's setup) I wouldn't bother wasting the time. Do some searching on the G80 "locker". It isn't really much of a locker and uses a centrifugal cam to lock and unlock after a certain rpm. The name 'Gov-Lock' wasn't dubbed 'Gov-Bomb' for fun, it is really a good name for it. Do some searching.

If you are looking to lock the D30, look into a lockright.
If you are looking to lock the D35, look into another axle, don't waste time and money on it.

D30 is stronger than the D35?

I'm going to doubt that, although you see less trouble with the D30 since when in 4x4 it only receives 50% power....

the 30's ring gear diameter is .4" smaller, but the fact that it has more bolts makes it stronger... It also has 27 splines rather than the 26 in the 35...

I'm pretty sure a LP 30 in rear form is stronger than the 35...

On that note, I don't think the volvo locker will work in either case, first because you probably have an HP30 up front, and second because it wont bolt into the 35 right (unless you modify the carrier????).

the 30's ring gear diameter is .4" smaller, but the fact that it has more bolts makes it stronger... It also has 27 splines rather than the 26 in the 35...

On that note, I don't think the volvo locker will work in either case, first because you probably have an HP30 up front, and second because it wont bolt into the 35 right (unless you modify the carrier????).
i must have gotten one of those rare 27 spline dana 35's

D30 is stronger than the D35?

I'm going to doubt that, although you see less trouble with the D30 since when in 4x4 it only receives 50% power....

x2. That and the majority of the time it's not pulling the whole weight of the jeep by itself.

Go do some front digs with a D30 and it'll prob have the same lifespan as a D35.

Please, SPOBY :gag:

Some corrections to your post:
-D35's have 27 spline
-It doesn't matter if it's high pinion or low pinion as far as the locker is concerned
-Those 2 extra bolts don't make a D30 stronger than a D35 (they're not the weak link in a D35. Spider gears, axle shafts, housings are)
-A D30 isn't "stronger" than a d35...it's in front, seeing far less loads than the D35 is seeing in the rear (weight and weight transfer), so it seems like it's "stronger", but it's not.

Last edited:
Haha, sorry, I'll stick to what I know for sure... The intarwebs is full of misinformation, I was misinformed and just continued the chain of wrongness.

Anyways, so the G80 isn't a "full-case" locker then? Correct me (like you already did) if I'm wrong, but full-case's replace the carrier too?

I know that I used to know... but what does spobi mean anyways?

i dono if anyone ever tried to put a g80 in the dana 30 since it came out of a volvo d30 with 27 splines originally any way but heres a link to to mod the g80 where it doesnt come unlocked at 30mph

http://turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0027

sorry to dig it up i was thinking it maybe a cheap alternate for the lunchbox lockers for our open d30?? im gonna go do some experments in the jy this weekend on some volvos and xjs

Back