• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front tire chirping

Smitten

NAXJA Forum User
On our stock 2001 XJ, the front tires have started scrubbing and chirping during low speed turns. The steering wheel pulses while turning and it almost feels like the 4wd is engaged but I know it is not (gas it and only the rears spin) It does this on snow or dry pavement. I do not see any visible play in the axle U joints. The Jeep has 108k on it and all the suspension parts seem tight. When this first started I put on a new steering damper but with no effect. My old J10 did this too but never this bad. Are there any problem areas to check?

Thanks

Wayne

Have you checked for play ? If no play then check axle alignment. Also check your wheel bearing hubs.

Good Luck

Nick

yep, check all TRE's (specifically the ones on the knuckles and connecting the drag link to the tie rod) and your unit bearings...

A few things.

1. check axle joints.
2. check unit bearings.
3. check to see that brakes aren't dragging.
4. make sure you have diff fluid.
5. do you have a front locker of any type?

The front is an open diff, tires rotate with minimal drag from the calipers when on jackstands and I can find no play in any components by shaking the wheel or prying on any joints. We have had this Jeep since new so I know eveything is original except shocks and steering damper. It has new BFG's all around. How would I check the hubs for play? When I had a bad hub on my old 89XJ it had a growling noise but this one seems fine. It has me stumped.

Wayne & Lisa, Bolton Landing NY
66 Ambo 990 wagon, 69 Ambo Coupe
2003 FLHTCI, 2000 WJ
2001 XJ, 2002 STS Northstar
Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

On our stock 2001 XJ, the front tires have started scrubbing and chirping during low speed turns. The steering wheel pulses while turning and it almost feels like the 4wd is engaged but I know it is not (gas it and only the rears spin) It does this on snow or dry pavement.

It has new BFG's all around.
I'm not positive there's anything actually wrong. Every XJ I've owned has "chirped" while turning sharply when they have new tires. If you look at the tires when you;ve got the wheel turned, they are not vertical, and not parallel with each other in sharp turns. This leads to the chirping/scrubbing noise on smooth, flat surfaces at low speeds.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Is this your first time with BFG (AT/TKOs??) If so, it might be normal and nature of the tire.

I have a 2000 XJ with BFG AT/TKO's and they do what you describe...its a little worse if the tires are little low.

OK, a clarification. The BFG's have been on since July which was about 600 miles ago since we only use the XJ is the winter. This situation has gotten progressively worse to the point where it does not feel safe to drive. There is a pronounced "throw" in the steering wheel every few feet while turning. My though was axle joints but they do not seem to have any play in them. I will crank it over to the stop tonight and see if there is a bind.

There doesn't have to be a whole lot of visible play in the u-joint and it could still be bad. One of the signs of a bad u-joint is, instead of it looking greasy, it is coated with a red rust color powder. This is the dry needle bearings getting pulverized.

I know this is an old thread but the update is that it was the Tcase was partially engaged. Seems the linkage was sticking and not allowing a full disengagement.

Sounds like a seized front ujoint. I've seen it several times.

Back