• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding rear headrests (the easy way) overview

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
I wont call this a writeup... because I'm kinda learning as I go here...

But heres what I have planned and the stuff I got. For starters...

I got a spare rear seat out of an XJ to experiment with, in case I had any problems along the way. as of right now my biggest issue were the zippers you need to unzip to remove the fabric and Padding - they were glued in place.

PC074924.jpg

PC074925.jpg

PC074927.jpg

What I did was take the head rest holding brackets out of the back of a ZJ. Took the headrests... then if you fold up the bottom you will see there are holes to store the headrests for when the back seat is folded down. These are BOLTED IN PLACE. just unbolt them and cut the seat to remove the brackets. I'll get pics of the wifes ZJ to show exactly what I mean.

PC074928.jpg

PC074929.jpg

Heres where I'm at... these will just bolt in place after locating them & drilling a few holes. I havnt gotten that far yet. But I will post up my progress.

You remove them and they relocate to a different spot when folding down the seats.

yeah, you pull them out the same as you can in the ZJ... you could just put them in the foot / floor area.
This could be way cool, please keep us posted on your progress, our junkyards are riddled with ZJs.

Ok well... I'm not real happy with the first attempt. Locations arent so good. I just sat in the back and guesstimated about where I wanted em. But you get the idea. I''ll probably try this again later. But heres what I got... the leather headrests match my ZJ front seats.

PC154949.jpg

Back