• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10" wide or 12.5" wide

what are they for?
I switched from 12.5 AT's to 10.5 AT's because I was doing more road driving than trail and they performed far superior in the snow.

you'll need to say what they will be used for? mud/rock/road/etc

Go big or go home!

you went to 10.5... i have heard that the wider tire actually provides a better on-road feel (with a 33" or higher tire).

Ok Tires then.

Narrow tires have a small contact area, which increases the pressure over the contact area, and has less rolling resistance.

Wider tires have a large contact area, less pressure over the contact area, and have more rolling resistance. They also have a larger rotational mass.

Narrow tires are good for pavement where a smaller contact area is beneficial in retaining traction in bad weather, and increased gas mileage

Wide tires excel off-road because of the wider contact area, and less pressure over the contact area. Notice AG equipment does not have pizza cutter tires. The wider tire allows that equipment to avoid digging into the soil and possibly getting stuck.

Going from 10.5" to 12.5" is a judgment call. The wider tire may require changes to backspacing and fender flairs to stay legal on the road.

If your gonna be driving on ice roads much you will preffer the narrower of the two. on my 88 I'm running the 33/12.5/r15 and they are rather difficult on glare ice even in 4wd. My 87 I'm running 235/75r15 BFG AT as well and I can drive on the same stuff in 2wd without near as many problems. good luck

my 10.5's are great in the snow so far. They dig right down into it... when breaking I can feel it slide for the first couple of feet until they cut their way into the snow and find pavement... then BAM! I jerk to a stop.

But I specifically made my truck for the snow. Not sure how good they'd be for off-road.

10.7" FTW!!!

It will be a compromise. 10.5 you'll like more on the road. Also, they'll balance better and you'll be less likely to get death wobble.

12.5 will give added stability off road.

Which is more important to you?

Either way, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

The wider the tire the more it will float (mud, sand, snow)

the Narrow tires dig in (light snow, pavement)

If you go in deep snow you want a wider tire because the narrow tire will "dig" looking for traction. the Wider tire wont "dig" as much.

Even if there is "traction" under the snow if its higher then your axle then your going to start becoming a snow plow.

under 5-6 inches I would go for a "narrow" tire for over 6" i would go with a "wider" tire.

Back