• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adjusting the steering pump on a 94' 4.0L

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
so i got a 94' xj with a 4.0L. just put a new head on and buttoned up everything. put my belt on tried to tension it and it feels pretty tight but i definitley have a horrible squeak/squeal thats so loud its not even worth driving. can anyone quickly tell me how to tighten the belt/loosen it again? i know theres the adjusting bolt on the bottom of the pump but not sure exactly how that works again..

so i got a 94' xj with a 4.0L. just put a new head on and buttoned up everything. put my belt on tried to tension it and it feels pretty tight but i definitley have a horrible squeak/squeal thats so loud its not even worth driving. can anyone quickly tell me how to tighten the belt/loosen it again? i know theres the adjusting bolt on the bottom of the pump but not sure exactly how that works again..
There are two bolts on the rear coming through the pump bracket threaded into the pump itself. There are also 2 on the front (actually 1 bolt and one nut). All of these must be loose while you are making adjustments with the long bolt underneath. Get it tight enough to where you can barely rotate the belt 90* at any section of it.

okay i actually went out and looked right after i posted, and i figured it out. the belt is definitley tight enough now but i still have this insanely loud squeal it sounds like a pulleys freezing up and having the belt squeal over it or something but they all seem to be turning..any ideas?

Hallo Jeeper. First check your belt tension.
Turn/twist the belt between the PS and Idler pulley vertical. If that goes with a little effort it is OK. Also try to push the same belt to the waterpump pulley. If you can reach that. it is OK.
The Idler pulley will run without grease after a few years. It will sound like a pig.

:shhh:

Last edited:
so u think its my idler pulley? i got an 89' with good rotating pulleys should i pull the alt/ps pump/idler pulley off of it?

Back