• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D60 axle swap

kingmeirl

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I'm new to the game! I did as much research as I could, and am unable to find a good write up on the D60 rear swap. I bought a D60 with 7.13 gears (out of a tractor) I know I need to change the gears, but can I re-use the detroit locker that is installed with the new gears? And where would be the best place to buy gears? And how can I tell if this is a gm or ford D60? <----noob !!

Last edited:
i am no d60 expert, everything i say here is casual info in the interest of tech??

you might want to mention, is it front or rear?
here is a list of BOM numbers for identification, from pirate4x4, maybe it can help you... but its only for fronts
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/D60 Front Shafts.html
and heres a picture to help find your bom #'s http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/images/billofmaterial.jpg
was the 60 original equipment on that tractor? or swapped in?
pirate4x4 has a lot of d60 tech, and its presented nicely in their tech section.

Hey all, I'm new to the game! I did as much research as I could, and am unable to find a good write up on the D60 rear swap. I bought a D60 with 7.13 gears (out of a tractor) I know I need to change the gears, but can I re-use the detroit locker that is installed with the new gears? And where would be the best place to buy gears? And how can I tell if this is a gm or ford D60? <----noob !!

I'm assuming it's a low pinion rear? If so, you can use that Detroit with 4.56 or numerically higher gears.

EDIT: You may want to check the spline count on those axle shafts (and therefor the Detroit)... it may be 16 spline being from a tractor
sad.gif

The axle is made by Dana-Spicer... Ford vs GM would just indicate who they built it for. You can look up the BOM number HERE, but I have no idea what it's going to tell you (if anything).

Watch the banner ads at the top of the page to find the best place to buy gears :)

Good luck,
Billy

sweet, is there any demand for the 7.13 gears? I'll pop it open tonight and find out the axle spline count. Would it even be worth my time to try to sell the gears? I am not certain but I think the axles did not come with the tractor (the guy said it was an off-road scissor lift).

sweet, is there any demand for the 7.13 gears? I'll pop it open tonight and find out the axle spline count. Would it even be worth my time to try to sell the gears? I am not certain but I think the axles did not come with the tractor (the guy said it was an off-road scissor lift).

Personally, I wouldn't buy used gears. I doubt the demand is high for 7.13s...

What are you doing for the front?
Bolt pattern?
Width?

IIRC 7.13's are about as deep as they get. I know a few guys that run them with a low pinion 60 front and really like them.

Don't know about resale value though. Used gears don't go for a whole lot.

I'd post them on Pirate just for a feeler. I sold some used OEM 4.10s on there for like $25 :cheers:
Billy

OK, i tried to take the shafts out, maybe I am doing it wrong??
How do you get these things apart? The gears are actually 7.17 as marked! I didn't know they went that low.

here are some pics, and I doubt someone is going to buy these things of rust, when I poped open the diff. cover, there was half an inch of water in the bottom.

JeepCherokee004.jpg

Sorry the pic is so big.

JeepCherokee002.jpg

How do I get that hub off?? I broke my fav flat head trying to get it off. WD-40d the hell out of it too...

JeepCherokee001.jpg

I have no idea if that is a detroit locker or not?
Notice the rust on the left?

The shafts will just pull straight out once you've got the studs/nuts off the hub. After you pull the shafts remove the spindle nuts and the outer bearing and the hub will fall right off.

It looks like a Detroit to me, kinda hard to tell from that super small picture. You've got 7.17s so the carrier will work with gears 4.56 and up.

You may have issues with rust. Does everything move freely? I wouldn't doubt that the bearings and races are rusted well enough to stop you from removing them easy. To get the carrier out, remove the bearing caps and run a rag through the gears to force them apart. It'll take some work, but it'll come out.

Honestly, if you've got issues this far, consider what you've got. Depending on the level of rust it might be better to find another FFD60 and start over with the hopefully salvageable Detroit.

Last edited:
everything moves very freely, I think ill just clean the rust and reuse it, just need new gears.

I was unable to get the cover off the end of the axle to get to the shafts, any tricks to this? It wouldn't budge.

I was unable to get the cover off the end of the axle to get to the shafts, any tricks to this? It wouldn't budge.

It is a full float axle. That "cover" is part of the shaft. Pull straight out.

If the axle shafts haven't been out in a while, and it looks that way, they can be a pain to remove. Use a chisel between the flange and the hub, just try not to gouge either. There is a good chance you will destroy the gasket but its no big deal. Just work your way around it, a big hammer helps.

A flat head makes a poor chisel.

If the axle shafts haven't been out in a while, and it looks that way, they can be a pain to remove. Use a chisel between the flange and the hub, just try not to gouge either. There is a good chance you will destroy the gasket but its no big deal. Just work your way around it, a big hammer helps.

A flat head makes a poor chisel.

Hmmm... I've pulled quite a few full float shafts and never had much of a hard time. It's usually just the RTV that's holding it in place. It is important to pull straight out though.
Billy

It probly has split cone locks that kind of look like a like wasker from the end. try tapping on the area on the shaft by the bolt. or mabe smack the end of the shaft with a BFH a few times. if it has the cone things they can be a pain to remove

yes, it does have those. Do those come off? I tried to take one off only to convince myself that they didn't come off, lol.

ok, when you say wedges, you mean it is like a washer shaped like a cone that goes into the axle cover? I think I understand, the nut being tightened would force the cone into the cover and lock it into place. I'll try getting those basterdages out, thanks guys!

ok, when you say wedges, you mean it is like a washer shaped like a cone that goes into the axle cover? I think I understand, the nut being tightened would force the cone into the cover and lock it into place. I'll try getting those basterdages out, thanks guys!

yeap, you should be able to smack the hell out of those studs and the cone washers should loosen up and come out then you can pull the axle shaft out.

Back