• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Front

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Im trying to figure out what i want to cut mine down to. I would like to be able to use stock shafts because it would be nice and easy to get spares. Obviously the first width that comes to mind is waggy width. But being the diff is off center, I would not be removing the same on each side, I am thinking of narrowing the pass side to waggy length inner and leaving the driver side stock length. The axle is a 78 F250 44. This would put me 2.825 wider that the waggy axle. How wide is the xj axle? What width are you running and why?

Link No worky. Im thinking of pass side to waggy width then driver J10 or J20 width. Or Stock ford inner on driver and waggy on pass side. This would make it about 2.5 inches wider than waggy width. What concerns me is intereference with the diff bring it is more offset to the pass side.

Link No worky.
:doh: Fixed.

What concerns me is intereference with the diff bring it is more offset to the pass side.

The only problem with that is finding room for all the suspension components over there. The coil bucket needs to sit about as close to the diff as possible.

Billy

Ill have to mock it up and see what works. Any differences with mounting the coils centered on the tube vs offset such as stock?

If it is an F250 axle I hope you have decided wether to cut some of the housing casting away on the drivers side for your LCAs or make your suspension fix it. I used a F250 axle full width and my LCA mounts are 2.25 inches father out on each side. BTW stay full width. My rig is so much more stable with the full widths.

I am aware of the cast in spring mount
I am keeping this a DD. I have considered full width or about 2.625 shorter on pass side. Im 3 inches wider in the front currently with spacers and the stock rims. Tires barely stick out. If i run some wide tj flares and deep rims on the street, how far you figure the tire will stick out? Also, do i loose wms width by swapping over to chevy 6 lug?

I am aware of the cast in spring mount
I am keeping this a DD. I have considered full width or about 2.625 shorter on pass side. Im 3 inches wider in the front currently with spacers and the stock rims. Tires barely stick out. If i run some wide tj flares and deep rims on the street, how far you figure the tire will stick out? Also, do i loose wms width by swapping over to chevy 6 lug?

The best bet is to get out the tape measure and see. Honestly it is. You should see the pages of notes and calculations I've done, it makes even my head spin.

Stock XJ WMS-WMS is 60.5"
Stock front F250 WMS is 67", IIRC (get your tape to double check as I know that is right for D60, not sure for the D44)
Play with backspacing of the wheels and be sure they will clear the steering if you go with huge backspacing (like H1s).
Given what you said above, you should be about 1.75" further out on each side assuming you get 6-lug wheels in the same backspacing. [67" - (60.5"+3")]/2 = 1.75"
Swapping to a Chevy 6-lug alone will not change the WMS-WMS distance.
If you are gonna narrow it, do what JeepFreak21 and CRASH have said and go waggy width. Easy to get shafts and don't have to worry about custom stuff.

I think ill measure it up as soon as i order some coil buckets and narrow it 2.625 on the pass side which will allow me to use a waggy innner on that side and leave me plenty of room on the driver side. Stock XJ backspacing is 5.25?

I would have to put a tape on it to tell you exactly how wide I am. I can tell you this. I can't drive onto my flatbed car hauler nose first because I am to wide to fit between the fenders. If you want to see how much it sticks out without flares go look at my build thread.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=930684&highlight=barney+mobile+upgrades

I would say if you narrow to go to waggy width too. Custom is cool until you break something.

Specs on the wheels is 3 inch BS and 35/14.50/R17 tires.

I will not be using custom shafts. Stock waggy pass inner. If i decide to go fullwidth i would only be 2 inches wider if i stay in the stock backspacing. I could run a set of deeper backspaced wheels on the street and would be much wider than i am currently. And just run a nother set on the trail. Would save my bias rockers if i get them.

Do you wheel with anyone with a narrowed 44 front? Or Waggy?

I'd say go to the same shafts as they have and you can share spares if necessary.

For backspace, remember you're going to have to get your steering in there somewhere. You are going to do high steer, right?

Back