• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grrrr.... Electrical gremlins.

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
This hasn't really bothered me, as i can just light up the dash with a cell phone/lighter/flashlight when i need to see how fast I'm going in the dark, but its starting to get old.

I have a 1988 Mj. 4.0, aw4, 242. When i got it, the guy had put a switch for Torque converter lockup in. That was the only electrical thing he messed with. I haven't done anything to it except mechanical work and a new ECU.

I have no dash lights. At all. Well, aside from my left side blinker arrow that is constantly on when I turn the lights on. All of my outside lights work, except 1 of 2 left taillight blinker bulbs. I also took my reverse lights out. My emergency flashers work inside and out. Also, I can't turn my dome lights on by turning my headlight switch till it clicks. All my fuses are good, All my wiring i can see from looking up at the bottom of my dash.

Anyone have any suggestions on what i should check/replace?

Could this be a headlight switch?

Switch or maybe fuse.

The turn indicator light staying on is no ground at the light bulb socket.

Good Luck
Nick

Switch or maybe fuse.

The turn indicator light staying on is no ground at the light bulb socket.

Good Luck
Nick

Yes this is true but a seperate issue could also be the bulb popped out a little the drivers side one on my 87 likes to do that about once a month or the bulb being burned out if the side marker was tied into the system like in Madxj's mod. As far as the no dimming could be either all the bulbs burned out, totally possible since its an 88 unless you know that you have changed them out and they all went at once. the most likely is the reostat/potentiometer (s/p) on the HL switch. It looks like a spring and should not be trying to popout of its place when they get old they will tend to do that. Good luck!!!

Back