• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chopped XJ question

XJ.Atticus

NAXJA Forum User
I bought an XJ that someone had chopped. They used the lift gate to partially close in the back and the botom half of the lift gate as a ghetto rigged tail gate. Obviously this won't work for wheelin, one it would be real cold and two it looks terrible.

So i saw that alot of NAXJA jeeps used MJ cabs to close in the cab and they look great. Went to the local u-pull it and was quoted $100 for the back half of an MJ cab

Is this a good price? how much have other people gotten them for? is there a better way to do this?

I think its reasonable. I was told I'd have to buy the whole cab. Plus I wasn't allowed to bring in a saw, I tried explaning it was a unibody and they didn't believe me.

Don't just get the back part go as far forward as possible so you have room to fine tune where you want it. and if you can afford it get the back of the bed with the tailgate. that will look sweet

I got mine for something like 60 bucks the last time and I chopped it from the frame rails to the roof. If you use the Comanche cab it can be a bit of a pain. The roof lines do not match up. You have to play with them a bit to make them work together.

If you notch the corner of the Mj cab and drop it down some you can work it in that way
(wasn't finished of course,first attempt)
pa140778co0.jpg

Better look at the difference.There is a good 3/4" in the crown of the roof.
pa170809ao4.jpg

pa210825du9.jpg

Second attempt. Cut the Mj roof section off to rework it and shrink it down to size.
pa230849qw8.jpg

pa270879cb6.jpg

Another option is the rear hatch from a 97+. I haven't done this myself so I don't know which method would be easier or cheaper.

I bought an XJ that someone had chopped. They used the lift gate to partially close in the back and the botom half of the lift gate as a ghetto rigged tail gate. Obviously this won't work for wheelin, one it would be real cold and two it looks terrible.

So i saw that alot of NAXJA jeeps used MJ cabs to close in the cab and they look great. Went to the local u-pull it and was quoted $100 for the back half of an MJ cab

Is this a good price? how much have other people gotten them for? is there a better way to do this?

come on its portland. my xj is chopped. havent taken it out wheeling at all around here. in the process of upgrading axles.
1dyoao.jpg

What a 97+ hatch looks like on a 2 door.

100_1839.jpg

100_1838.jpg

100_1836.jpg

100_1904.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

29.jpg

And now.

100_0465.jpg

2345.jpg

MJ tailgate was ez to install. Just used 2 pieces of angle iron and 2 BTF bottle opener gussets. Took maybe 5 hrs total. Maybe its an option for you.

I am thinking of doing the chop to mine. I think I want to get the back piece out of a Comanche. I was looking at the ones done with the hatch but most wont allow for a taller person to sit back there and if i use the back part of the cab from a comanche I could allow some space behind the seat for some things i dont want in the bed. Just my idea.. Oh and ANDREW we need to go wheeling together sometime!

nothing on that jeep looks like it "belongs"... :D it does look great though!

good price on the back section of the cab, make sure you get as much of the roof as possible. don't cut the xj in half, just cut off the top.

try and get an mj cab with a sliding rear window I'd say, and please please please don't chop up a really nice rust free comanche.

remember too that it MUST be caged or you're driving a taco, despite what anyone else says.

its also a good idea to brace the under side of your unibody, especially if your converting a 2-door. props on the sliding rear window, those rock

Truckstop...

Lets see what you're starting with.....

all of these pics of chopped jeeps make me want one

Ehh why bother putting body panels back on, when most with a chopped body wheel it and get body damage and then chop it further to make it buggy style. Just go ahead and chop it the rest of the way like mine.
IMGA0130.jpg

Ehh why bother putting body panels back on, when most with a chopped body wheel it and get body damage and then chop it further to make it buggy style. Just go ahead and chop it the rest of the way like mine.
IMGA0130.jpg

beginners, chop it more than that for a buggy

RBXJ003.JPG

Back