• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank leaking from the top, need some help lowering it...

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I have a 30 gallon heavy duty after market tank, made by Aero IIRC. This is a '96 XJ 8.25 rear end if that matters.

Had it on there for about two years. With the gas prices so high I wasnt driving it much (only gets 10mpg). For about a year the jeep never had a full tank of gas because it cost too much.

Well when gas hit $1.93 I went and filled her up!! But now I have a problem... fuel is seeping down the front side of the tank and stinks to high heaven.

I was wondering how far I can lower the tank with it still attached to the fuel door parts? And what does it consist of to remove these if I absolutely must? Do I have to remove the interior cargo panel to gain access to behind the fuel door?

I was hoping it's just a loose hose connection and I could just drop the tank 4-5" with everything still connected and just tighten her up. Would this be possible?

You will need to disconnect your fuel filler hose, but you should be able to lower it from there, at least a few inches.
I'd siphon out as much gas as possible prior to trying this though.
You are talking over 200lbs of fuel there.

Back