• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where are you putting relay's?

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
so the xj is getting ever closer to actually being done. I just have get a sye, do a bit of welding, gears and electrical stuff. So for the electrical I am installing some ipf headlights, backup lights, and aux trans cooler all of which come with relays(4 total). My question is where are you guys mounting your relays?

i mounted each of my electical additions wherever it went... without concern for future clean-liness....

i do not recommend you do the same! it gets out of hand quick... i have 5 relays/inline fuses under my hood, passenger side!

might want to look into a 'fitch box' if your feeling frisky

What kind of relay's are you guys using? I used regular relay's from radio shack and they got all corroded and quit working.

thanks man, I was thinking that was a good spot....and you gotta love the butter knife in the picture. what the heck was that being used for??

I actually have one in my tool box and use it a heck of alot.

I use automotive relays, I get them from the junk yard though. They fit nicley in the back of the tool box drawer and to most people they're useless so I don't feel bad.

I made an aluminum panel that fit between the fusebox and the inner fender. Provides a nice flat surface to mount to. Right now I only have the relays for my custom headlight harness mounted to it, but the front and rear overhead light relays will be moved there as well at some point.

I cut out a place for them to snap in, and mounted it on my existing relay box. Plenty of room for the wiring underneath, and it stays put. I used 1/4 inch delrin plate, and machined it out with my little mill. I use 40 amp Bosch relays that I get from the salvage yard. the older BMW's have them. I live in Germany right now, so BMW's are about all you see in the salvage yards here.

~James

DSCN0437.jpg

Why re-invent the wheel. go to the junkyard, pop a couple of hoods, and check out the underhood relay / fuse center.

Most modern cars have them, and they use automotive grade fuses. I used one out of a gran-prix to drive some electric fans in my old S-10.

(gran prix's also have awesome lighted rearview mirrors that are a simple 2 wire deal, you can never have too many maplights)

Small package, OEM quality, and everything is fused. Move have more fuses/ circuits than you could ever use, but are still smaller than anything posted above.

Here's my original fitchbox:

IMG_2795.jpg

Here is my latest iteration of the fitchbox:

On the desk:

IMG_00791.jpg

In the XJ:

IMG_00801.jpg

It's mounted between the master cylinder and the fender. I think I used a smaller project box than he did. When it warms up I'll do a little neater wiring job. My hands were getting cold.

Last edited:
Why re-invent the wheel. go to the junkyard, pop a couple of hoods, and check out the underhood relay / fuse center.

Most modern cars have them, and they use automotive grade fuses. I used one out of a gran-prix to drive some electric fans in my old S-10.

(gran prix's also have awesome lighted rearview mirrors that are a simple 2 wire deal, you can never have too many maplights)

Small package, OEM quality, and everything is fused. Move have more fuses/ circuits than you could ever use, but are still smaller than anything posted above.

x2

Back