• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Patching floorboards

Just a quick one this time. I'm gonna be welding patch panels into the floorboards this weekend and I am just wondering what guage metal to use? I'm pretty sure I read on here to use 16 or 18 guage but I can't find the thread anymore and my local metal place only has 16 or 20 guage. I just want to make sure I get something that is gonna be fairly comparable to the stock thickness for ease of welding. Thanks.

Just finished patching holes and bedlining interior. I used 16 guage sheet metal. Probably would have been easier to use something thinner though as I had to make a bend in a 10" wide piece that runs the length of the transmission tunnel on the passenger side. Overall it went pretty smooth though and the bedliner looks pretty freakin good.:D

i dont suppose you could put up a pic of the hole you patched, ive got a major hole in the same spot and was just curious as to how you went about it

I'll try to take some pics of it but I've already belined over it so it might be hard to see. I basically just made an approximate template out of cardboard and traced it onto the sheetmetal. If you just tack one side into place first you can beat it into shape with a hammer. If you take your time it should turn out ok.

Back