• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Pillar and Roof Repair from Roll

Brad79CJ

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks for checking my post. I have a 98 4 door xj that was in a light roll and busted the windshield, bent the A pillars and the front part of roof. I am getting a good body shell for the parts to fix it. I am not looking to make it look really good. I actually don't care how it looks. I just need to know the proper way to weld the A pillars and top on so it will seal decent and be able to withstand a roll. For piece of mind I will probably put an interior cage in it. I have a 220v Lincoln mig to weld with. The previous owner has already done some cutting out of the roof that was smashed down (I didn't have the pleasure of tipping this one over).

Safety is obviously my main concern. I know I don't want to just cut the old pillars off and butt weld the new assembly on, but I would like someone with previous experience to give me some ideas of what works and what doesn't. Getting the doors to shut right is another challenge, but just as long as they latch, it'll be fine. I am going to use this as a trail project, but it will be on the road too and need it to be weather tight.

Anyway, thanks for reading and here are some links to pictures

Thanks

Brad

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/Brad79CJ/IMG_4296.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/Brad79CJ/IMG_4298.jpg

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

You want to mitre the cuts as much as "reasonably" possible(on the pillars).For any roof sections get a flanging tool if possible.

Nice work on the red xj. That's a lot of bending to do.

I think I am going to run with the bend it, cage it concept. The PO did do some cutting but I will just straighten the pillars and then cut out the piece to plug the hole in the top. I'm not going to try real hard to make it pretty because its likely it'll get bent up later. Only trouble I see is getting the windshield hole close enought to get the glass in.

I'll post picks when I make progress.

Thanks

Brad

Back