• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 with 35's?

Ok, I know that its been covered many times but I've spent hours sifting through threads that mention 8.25's using the search function but I could do it for days and not get as much info as just posting would get me.

I have read in the FAQ section in the axles for rocks thread that the 29 spline 8.25 is only good for 33's if its locked and 35's with no locker. Is this just for rock crawling or what? My hope is that I can run a 29 spline 8.25 with 35's 4.56's and a locker (preferably selectable but we'll see where that stands by the time I can afford it).

My heep is a 92 4 door with a 4L and a 5 spd. I'm looking to build a decent all round rig. Not an extreme rock crawler. Thanks in advance

BudgetXJ

As long as you aren't hammering on it constantly or whatever, it should be reasonably stout, I would think...

Im on a mostly stock 8.25 with 29 spline shafts, a Detroit, and 35s.

Im really hard on my XJ and I have only broke a stock 8.25 shaft once, and I was on it hard in under cut rocks bigger than the XJ.
1027071330.jpg

1209072057.jpg

You should be absolutely fine locked on 35s if you keep your foot out on the skinny pedal.

I've been calling around to the jy's around here and they're all quoting around $500 for one of these rearends. Is that about right? I'm gonna go around to some of them tomorrow and see if I can talk them down but I thought they'd be a bit cheaper than that. How much do they usually go for in the states?

If you drive SMART, you'll be fine. But just warning you you're going to get a million different opinions.

I've been calling around to the jy's around here and they're all quoting around $500 for one of these rearends. Is that about right? I'm gonna go around to some of them tomorrow and see if I can talk them down but I thought they'd be a bit cheaper than that. How much do they usually go for in the states?

YIKES! A 29 spline with 3.55 usually goes for $150-$180 from what I've seen.

Thats more along the lines of what I was thinking. The exchange rate isn't that great right now but I'm almost thinking of looking at jy's down there if I can't find anything cheaper up here.

Wait, I told you wrong. $150-180 is usually what they go for private sales. You have two types of JYs...the first one doesn't care what axle they are selling, they just set the price at say $150 per axle. The second one knows what people want and adjust their prices accordingly. Now that I think of it, I have seen 8.25s out of a 97+ going for $300-400 but that's not that common. I'm used to going to pull-a-part junkyards where everything is the same. Try looking for one from a person. I actually have one for sale but you're a little far away...:bawl:

They are only 50$ at the P-n-P's here!

Thats outrageous!!! I scored mine for $150 3 years ago and thats when they were a hotter item. Keep looking, maybe come down to the PAP in Arlington, WA to see what they have, or at least call first. Even if you get a 27 spline one, you can upgrade easily.

There's a couple PAP's around here that I'm gonna try. I'm hoping that if I go to a PAP they'll have more standardized pricing instead of different pricing for different rearends. If not though, I'll call the one in Arlington. Thanks for the heads up.

I run a 8.25 on 35s with an ARB, and 4.56 gears.....and Yukon shafts. Its been together for 4 years or so with no problems.

What about an 8.8 there are tons of them out there.

What about an 8.8 there are tons of them out there.

I have put alot of thought into this and I really like the bolt in factor of the 8.25. That and most of the places that I have found 8.8's want more than $500 for them. I also don't have a place to fab up the brackets etc at the moment and I refuse to pay someone else to do something that I could do myself. I would like disc brakes though.......haha. It never ends.

Free to about $200 here, no way I would give that much for one.

I've beat on my 8.25, 29 spline/locked/Yukon shafts, hard on 32's and 4.10's with no issues and I'm now going to 35's and 4.88's and I'm not the least bit worried about it.

There is a local XJ on a 27 spline 8.25/locked/stock shafts and 35's and the owner beats the living s@#t out of it and has never broken anything on the axle, he scares me the way he wheels but the 8.25 impresses me.

Back