• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help w/Radiator issues

TruffleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I have a 97 XJ that is draining antifreeze out of the draincock, even all the way tight. I guess it is "ruptured" and ruined in some way. Is the draincock a replaceable part or do I need to get a new radiator. I was just thinking about doing a flush and fill of the cooling system for routine maintenance, and this happens :wierd:. Thanks.

*BTW, how do you create a signature for the bottom of posts?

Hey all, I have a 97 XJ that is draining antifreeze out of the draincock, even all the way tight. I guess it is "ruptured" and ruined in some way. Is the draincock a replaceable part or do I need to get a new radiator. I was just thinking about doing a flush and fill of the cooling system for routine maintenance, and this happens :wierd:. Thanks.

*BTW, how do you create a signature for the bottom of posts?

Ruptured draincock!?!?! That sounds bad. Good question, I'll be interested in seeing the answer.

I can answer the 2nd question. You have to become a member (paid subscription) before you can set up your signature. Notice the color of the names. Red are paid members, and they usually have signatures.

Thanks Mudderoy, I guess that make sense as a member feature. I am going to join soon, as I want to support this wonderful organization.

As far as a "ruptured" draincock goes, that ain't a pretty site, if you know what I mean :laugh2:.

On a serious note, I did the search thing and someone in a thread mentioned that the pressure could have "ruputured" the drain? Thought that it might just be loose but, it leaks out of mine even when it is all the way tight.

Thanks Mudderoy, I guess that make sense as a member feature. I am going to join soon, as I want to support this wonderful organization.

As far as a "ruptured" draincock goes, that ain't a pretty site, if you know what I mean :laugh2:.

On a serious note, I did the search thing and someone in a thread mentioned that the pressure could have "ruputured" the drain? Thought that it might just be loose but, it leaks out of mine even when it is all the way tight.

lol, I saw the signatures on several of the folks here. I looked and looked (didn't want to get flamed! :gee:) Then I decided to join one day and BANG there it was.

I noticed my draincock (i hate that word) is plastic. I don't like plastic on my radiator. I wonder if it was over tightened, or got too hot. Surely it can be replaced fairly easily and cheaply. You might want to start looking for a good radiator shop. I found one that has about 6 people working in a area big enough for two workers. You can tell thats a good radiator shop. ;o) I had my all metal 2-core repaired, so I have the new all metal 3 core and a 2 core backup.

Hey yeah, I know what it's like to work in close quarters (chef in small kitchen), it makes you more efficient cuz work space is at a premium.:roll:

I just took off the drain plug, let's call it, and it is plastic and I guess that it is available at Napa. Now if it wasn't so cold I would hop on my bike, and go get one, brrrrrrr. I'll wait for a ride :thumbup:.

I don't use the drain petcock on the XJ radiator on my 99. Just as easy and less prone to problems is to just drop the lower radiator hose.

PROTIP:

Those large plastic trays for washing machines (check your local home improvement store! $12.00), are GREAT for catching ALL the coolant if you pull the bottom hose. If you live in a residential area, you need to take care not to spill. Simply push the Jeep back and use a suction pump, shop vac, whatever to transfer the coolant to jugs for proper disposal.

Beats laying in spilled coolant.

Back