• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So many cheap cars

treadlightly08

NAXJA Forum User
I have been browsing CL a lot lately as anyone else seen the plethora of cheap cars out there as of late? I am looking for a new DD. Would you guys recommend an 88 BMW 700 series with 200k with no issues, or a 97 taurus with 153k and in need of a tranny?

No, and... Hell no.... that 7 series isnt worth the heavy price of repairs..
as soon as you replace the tranny in the toreass then you will have Headgasket problems, then you will have bearing issues.. they never end!

when it comes to older cheap cars for DD, look for a decent Toyota or Honda. super cheap, super reliable.

Ok, my bro-n-law is right on the money with this answer. You could always buy a good reliable 500.00 Jeep XJ off Craigs like I did. I have put about 800 cash into the cooling system and misc. items. It has been a loyal DD and wheeler...mind you not though...needs a motor currently...but you can buy 15 used XJ motors for the price of a new tranny w/ install for the Tuarus.

Buying a Tuarus is hasta!

The 7 series should only be ownedby someone who can afford to maintain it. And it requires a lot of maintance. Call an independent BMW shop and ask for some advise.

Taurus transmissions are notorious for catastrophic failures.

I called a mechanic that i trust, he said that the taurus tranny is a pain, I would have to pull the entire front sub frame. I love the xj, however, I really want a car that is easy to drive and more comfortable. the seven series is out as well, I called the guy it has 257k so f-that. I found a 93 subaru legacy wagon in seattle (kind of a drive) that is in decent shape. how ever it is an automatic and it wont go into fourth, and those are not very common at u-pull-its. that is $500. I also found a dodge neon for $500 that is a 95 that runs and drives but has tranny isues. I really am not a huge fan of the looks of the 80's hondas, plus they have all been thrashed by teenagers.

I called a mechanic that i trust, he said that the taurus tranny is a pain, I would have to pull the entire front sub frame. I love the xj, however, I really want a car that is easy to drive and more comfortable. the seven series is out as well, I called the guy it has 257k so f-that. I found a 93 subaru legacy wagon in seattle (kind of a drive) that is in decent shape. how ever it is an automatic and it wont go into fourth, and those are not very common at u-pull-its. that is $500. I also found a dodge neon for $500 that is a 95 that runs and drives but has tranny isues. I really am not a huge fan of the looks of the 80's hondas, plus they have all been thrashed by teenagers.

The Neons have catastrophic head gasket failures. Or they run for ever and are great cars.
the Subaru should get a once over they also have some known problems but can be excellent vehicles if they have been maintained. If it is not going into overdrive that may be a simple solenoid problem ( or it could be a whole trans replacement) - talk to a reputable trans shop on that one.

2.5L Boxer engines used in the Legacies had HG problems.

Look for a 2.2L Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. Smaller, better mileage, and NO tranny/engine issues.

Look for a 2.2L Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. Smaller, better mileage, and NO tranny/engine issues.

You forgot to mention fun in the snow or a dirt road! :D

It's a '93 so it has the 2.2 liter motor (they didn't even have the name Outback until '96, and the Outback Sport came even later). I put 250k on '92 only having to replace the clutch at 200k. Also put 235k on my '91 Legacy 2.2 Turbo, original Turbo, etc. Bullet proof cars, but like Tracey said, get the tranny diagnosed. There's a decent chance it's just a solonoid, but it's impossible to tell from where I sit.

Also, is it AWD? Back then you could get them in FWD also.

-----Matt-----

Just by my xj I posted on craigs list. I give you a deal.
2.8l v6 np207 d30 d35. 5 speed. Trimmed fender 32x11.5 bfg at.
Not in stalled 3 inch rough county lift. 1.5 shackles. Tj flares. The drivetrain sucks for wheeling but I drive it daily and have no issues.

Geo's are not bad I have one that has 263.000 miles on it. I have put a few water pumps timing belts in it but it keeps going other then that. It is starting to rattle some sounds like a john deer diesel going down the road but gets me there at 35mpg. I also would recomend a toyota I also have one of them 30mpg over 100k no problems.

early 90's 4cylinder camrys and accords get 30-35+ mpg and run forever

Agreed..

To each they're own. One things for sure. if ya think a neon or Taurus looks better then an 80s honda, you have too much Jeep grease on your glasses:moon:

Back