• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj specs

Scottt

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know what auto tranny came in this year? Are there any special or unique issues with this year that I should know about? My first XJ but Ive own well over 150 jeeps just not sure what they came with

thanks

He said auto, and if its a 4.0 (you didnt say which motor) its the AW4. A very good transmission.

Last edited:
Anyone know what auto tranny came in this year? Are there any special or unique issues with this year that I should know about? My first XJ but Ive own well over 150 jeeps just not sure what they came with

thanks

you have owned over 150 jeeps?

Anyone know what auto tranny came in this year? Are there any special or unique issues with this year that I should know about?
thanks
As stated, the AW-4 transmission; it's a good one, they last forever. The aw-4 has a funny quirk shifting in 1-2(basically no usable 2nd gear off-road)which many people have tried to solve. The last Cherokees had the transmission computer integrated with the engine computer, so any attempt to bypass computer controls sets a check engine light.
The '00/'01 came with a Low-pinion Dana 30 front axle(up to '99 had hi-Pinion) Most all of them came with a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle. Along with the "0331" head, they got a cast 2-piece exhaust manifold that does away with the cracking problem of the earlier designs. The header replacement for this manifold is expensive(should be platinum plated)

AW4 is a pretty good tranny, they just don't like heat. An aftermarket tranny cooler is a cheap and effective way to ensure the longevity of your transmission. Please do tell on some of the 150 jeeps you've owned...

Back