• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passenger side oil leak from head gasket?

lawsoncl

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to get my 89 MJ oil tight again. It appears to be oozingfrom the head/block junction along the passenger side. I've clean everything up a few times and that's where new oil shows up. Its not the typical valve cover, oil filter adapter, or RMS and they've all been done. Its dry above the joint and just sopping wet below it. Is this common? I really don't feel like pulling the head just an oil leak, but it is getting pretty bad.

I checked the torque on the head bolts when I pulled and resealed the valve cover a few months ago. I'm going to pull the valve cover again, I'm going to keep going and pull the head as well. Of course that that point I might as well drop the pan and pull the pistons and re-ring those, etc. Or I just say screw it, save myself some time and keep an eye out for a low mileage engine to replace this one that has 230k miles on it.

I checked the torque on the head bolts when I pulled and resealed the valve cover a few months ago. I'm going to pull the valve cover again, I'm going to keep going and pull the head as well. Of course that that point I might as well drop the pan and pull the pistons and re-ring those, etc. Or I just say screw it, save myself some time and keep an eye out for a low mileage engine to replace this one that has 230k miles on it.

I am having the exact same issue, have you started repairing yours yet?
I don't have the knowledge to do a rebuild myself so my Jeep may end up parked for awhile. Bummer because just bought it!

I had the same problem and unfortunatley i replaced the distributor gasket, oil filter o-rings, RMS, and resealed the V/C numerous times...my culprit to the oil leak---> BAD HEADGASKET...stupid engine rebuilder used a POS gasket and it leaked...all fixed now

its nothing to be alarmed about, unless the jeep is overheating or showing any other signs of a bad head gasket. i asked about mine doing the same thing over on jeepforum and was told that it wasnt something major since that side of the motor is where the pushrods are and is not under any kind of pressure. so any leak is not going to be serious. i was advised just to clean it well and put some hi-temp RTV between the surfaces best i can and leave it until there was a real need to open up the engine.

its nothing to be alarmed about, unless the jeep is overheating or showing any other signs of a bad head gasket. i asked about mine doing the same thing over on jeepforum and was told that it wasnt something major since that side of the motor is where the pushrods are and is not under any kind of pressure. so any leak is not going to be serious. i was advised just to clean it well and put some hi-temp RTV between the surfaces best i can and leave it until there was a real need to open up the engine.

That would be great!
Mine runs strong & no overheating but have some blow-by & losing maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 quart of oil a week . I may try the rtv until I can afford a rebuild.

I am having the exact same issue, have you started repairing yours yet?
I don't have the knowledge to do a rebuild myself so my Jeep may end up parked for awhile. Bummer because just bought it!

No. I just keep topping off the oil. I like to think of it as self-changing now.

Back