• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing PCV valve.

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
How the hell do you change the PCV valve without snapping the plastic 90* elbow that sits atop the PCV valve ? I've had 4 jeeps in my possesion before and EVERYone of them has broke while trying to get it out of the valve cover ? Is there a secret to it ?

the same way you did the last 4 jeeps.

when i get a new jeep, i just pull the valve cover, break the old pcv valves and cut the grommets out, and replace them. then they usually last until i sell it.

The reason the thing breaks is because the rubber grommets have turned to stone. I have a '00 and my grommets were as pliable as cement.... the only way the CCV was coming out was to cut out the petrified grommet. I needed to replace the valve cover gasket anyway, so I just bought new grommets from the dealer and replaced everything..... besides, I just knew I'd drop a chunk of old grommet into the engine if I didn't remove the cover....

mike
ooxj

Thanks!! The reason I ask is when I'm on the highway or doing a significant speed for more than 5 minutes, when I let off the gas I get a smell of oil. Not burnt oil or anything, just oil. Could it be a bad PCV valve ?

Could be - but I thought the Jeep used a CCV - the small line at the back of the valve cover, which is a metered orifice. The big line in front is just the crank pressure relief tube which dumps on the air filter. It can clog and cause overpressure to blow a gasket, literally.
You can eliminate the tubing by sticking in a small hole chevy valve cover breather, but then the oil just runs down all over the engine. Then you get to smell lots of oil after a high speed run.
Best bet is to remove and clean all the lines to ensure they work.

TiRod said:
You can eliminate the tubing by sticking in a small hole chevy valve cover breather, but then the oil just runs down all over the engine. Then you get to smell lots of oil after a high speed run.

I like the idea of the chevy vent, but does it have this oil leaking problem all the time, or only when the CCV line is clogged?

Back