• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no oil pressure

88xjchief

NAXJA Forum User
I have no oil pressure at start up. Almost everytime I start it it sounds like i just did a oil change and takes a few seconds before the oil pressure kicks in. Any ideas what might be causing this? The oil pressure when cold is 40 and 15 when warm.

sorry i cant help but i have relatively the same problem in my 99xj 4.0L. Oil pressure is was low today and colder than norm weather. this has never happened before not that i think the cold has anything to do with it-i used to live in -22F for a good deal of time and the jeep ran great, 2 weeks ago i just put a new filter on , 6qts 10w-40 as always-this situation could have major problems so ive read and i'm broke. any and all please help us?

Stop using Fram filters. They have a crappy piece of cardboard for the anti-drainback valve which lets the oil drain back into the pan.

Always verify suspect oil pressure readings with a mechanical oil pressure gauge (you can rent them if you don't want to buy). They install in place of the oil pressure sending unit. If and when your mechanical oil pressure gauge shows readings that correlate with what your dash gauge reads, then you can formulate a plan. Possible causes of low oil pressure include engine bearings, oil pump, and others.

FRAM filters are probably not your problem, yes they are know to fail "sometimes" internaly if it were that big a problem the company would fix it. i currently run a Fram TOUGH Guard- this stands out in the filter market against many other great name brands(personal opinion), NAPA gold is the only other i trust. Anyway i fixed the oil pressure problem it turns out it was my Oil pressure sender that went bad. 132$ part+labor - not at all complaining. IF you can get it checked and this isnt the problem look at the oil pump-screen maybe clogged/off, or pump might be toast.do note your gonna have to drop the pan to check all else but the pressure sender and thats a pain in the ass job on an xj. If thats all good im sorry to say you may wanna take a look at those crankshaft bearings..... good luck hope this helps

a while back i mentioned i replaced my oil presssure sending unit. I think theoil pressure gauge is broken as its reading over 80 and doesnt move. keep in mind when i got this OPSU replaced everything was working/reading fine. now im stumped...... oil level is good....the jeep is just now starting to "not" start right away though it does so fairly quickly. HELP i need my wheels its my only transportation source and i cant afford to replace an engine. all and any help thankyou

It looks like you had the sending unit replaced in December and now it reads over 80. I would suspect the sending unit again. Or the wiring running to it. It isn't likely that you have a real problem. I can't think of anything that can happen to really make the oil pressure be that high, all the time, even when idling when hot.

Back