• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a lot done today... but I still have an issue

Tyler_8.25

NAXJA Forum User
Well, the Jeep developed a serious leak from the water pump about a week ago and was overheating badly but I finally had some free time to mess around with it today. Since I was pulling everything apart anyways, I went ahead and replaced some other things that needed to be fixed as well. I put in a new water pump, thermostat, heater control valve, serpentine belt, spark plugs, wires, and cap/rotor. I swear none of these parts had ever been replaced (and its a 1992). :banghead:I also, obviously, flushed the whole cooling system and filled it up with a fresh antifreeze/water mixture for the coming winter. It took most of the day but I feel like I could probably drive it anywhere so I guess it was worth it. The only problem I still have is that whenever I turn left going more than about 20 MPH, there is a weird grinding/clunking noise coming from what seems to be the front left wheel. It doesn't handle or feel any different but the noise is very noticeable. I really don't know what it is. Wheel bearing? Loose track bar or control arm? I crawled under and looked around but I didn't see anything that looked obviously wrong. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys.

If it was a wheel bearing, your brakes would pulsate very bad. Possible DS? Does it go away or get worse in 4wd?

The breaks seem to work fine. Although when I did take in to Les Schawb a while ago to get a flat fixed and a rotation, they said the fronts were a little old and worn, but they were probably just trying to get me spend more money. They are on my list to fix though. I drove it around in 4wd and it did the exact same thing. How do I check the drive shaft to see if it has a problem?

Also, I was up on some forest service roads a few weeks ago and did some real basic wheeling. I drove over a small but real steep mound of rocks/dirt in 4wd and it went away for a few days but then started doing it again.

Where in Bellingham are you at? If you can move the DS around you have a loose U joint, same goes for the axle shafts.

-Alex

I live off of Alabama on E Maryland St., but I go to Western and used to work out at the mall so I'm all over the city. Tomorrow I'll crawl under it and see if there is any play in the DS.

Oh, so at least I'm not the only hippie on the board...

Does it go away when you let the jeep coast? Increase when you hit the gas? Is your jeep lifted or stock? You can check your hubs by jacking up the tire and seeing if there is any play in it, up and down back and forth. Also if your hub gets pretty hot after trips.

-Alex

Oh, so at least I'm not the only hippie on the board...

Does it go away when you let the jeep coast? Increase when you hit the gas? Is your jeep lifted or stock? You can check your hubs by jacking up the tire and seeing if there is any play in it, up and down back and forth. Also if your hub gets pretty hot after trips.

-Alex

Haha yeah everyone is a hippie in Bellingham right...

It doesn't change if I'm just coasting or on the gas, but it only makes noise when I'm turning left and a little bit if I go over a bump (not when I'm going straight or turning right). The Jeep is stock for now, but if I can get this issue sorted out then I'm hoping to save up the money and lift it this winter. I'll try to jack it up tomorrow and move the wheel around if I have time. The guy at Schucks today had a lifted XJ and seemed to know his way around a Jeep. I should have asked him about it but I was too focused on the water pump issue at the time. Thanks for the help.

Haha yeah everyone is a hippie in Bellingham right...

It doesn't change if I'm just coasting or on the gas, but it only makes noise when I'm turning left and a little bit if I go over a bump (not when I'm going straight or turning right). The Jeep is stock for now, but if I can get this issue sorted out then I'm hoping to save up the money and lift it this winter. I'll try to jack it up tomorrow and move the wheel around if I have time. The guy at Schucks today had a lifted XJ and seemed to know his way around a Jeep. I should have asked him about it but I was too focused on the water pump issue at the time. Thanks for the help.

Was the XJ at schwabs red on swampers?

-Alex

Well, the Jeep developed a serious leak from the water pump about a week ago and was overheating badly but I finally had some free time to mess around with it today. Since I was pulling everything apart anyways, I went ahead and replaced some other things that needed to be fixed as well. I put in a new water pump, thermostat, heater control valve, serpentine belt, spark plugs, wires, and cap/rotor. I swear none of these parts had ever been replaced (and its a 1992). :banghead:I also, obviously, flushed the whole cooling system and filled it up with a fresh antifreeze/water mixture for the coming winter. It took most of the day but I feel like I could probably drive it anywhere so I guess it was worth it. The only problem I still have is that whenever I turn left going more than about 20 MPH, there is a weird grinding/clunking noise coming from what seems to be the front left wheel. It doesn't handle or feel any different but the noise is very noticeable. I really don't know what it is. Wheel bearing? Loose track bar or control arm? I crawled under and looked around but I didn't see anything that looked obviously wrong. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys.

i had this issue a while back that turned out to be my alternator resting against the frame tie in bracket bolt. when i turned the engine would flex just enough to put pressure on the alternator. try recreating the noise by putting a crow-bar against the alternator and frame while its running and put a lil pressure on it. my solution was cut the bolt shorter.

if you have added aftermarket tow hooks, or bumpers it may be the same issue ?

I jacked up the front end today and tried to move the wheels around. There wasn't any play at all so I guess that rules out a problem with the hubs. When I crawled under and grabbed the front DS there was a little movement but it didn't seem like enough that would make the loud noise that the Jeep is making. I'm not sure though because I don't have much experience with drive lines so I don't really know how it is supposed to be. In comparison though, the rear DS was rock solid and didn't move at all when I grabbed it and tried to shake/move it around.

Mojojojo: I read your post this morning but I forgot to check the alternator when I was looking at the other stuff but I'll scope it out tomorrow for sure. The jeep is all stock though (for now) so tow hooks/bumper wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

I jacked up the front end today and tried to move the wheels around. There wasn't any play at all so I guess that rules out a problem with the hubs. When I crawled under and grabbed the front DS there was a little movement but it didn't seem like enough that would make the loud noise that the Jeep is making. I'm not sure though because I don't have much experience with drive lines so I don't really know how it is supposed to be. In comparison though, the rear DS was rock solid and didn't move at all when I grabbed it and tried to shake/move it around.

Mojojojo: I read your post this morning but I forgot to check the alternator when I was looking at the other stuff but I'll scope it out tomorrow for sure. The jeep is all stock though (for now) so tow hooks/bumper wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

Did you check the u-joints on the front axles as stated before? Those go out and make noise. Where was the movement on the front driveshaft? Was it at the u-joint or the splines?

Back