• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter install

Fidget360

NAXJA Forum User
Hey y'all, I'm new to the forum, just got my first jeep.
I'm a pretty decent mechanic, and I'm swaping engines in my jeep, but when I separated the engine and tranny, the torque converter came out. I just went to put them back together tonight, and couldn't get them to mesh. Upon inspection I found that the torque converter is not fully mated with the trans. what's the best way to get the TC to fully seat with the trans?

no, it's not dammaged, there's just a couple of slots on the torque converter that I can't seem to get lined up with the corresponding pegs (or whatever) on the input shaft on the trans.

Just keep Fidget'ing with it. Sorry, I couldn't resist.:gag:

Seriously, it will go back in. Just keep rotating it until it does. I just did mine this past weekend and struggled with it a bit until I discovered it wasn't fully seated.

ok, I got it around 10pm. what a pain. I've got two jeeps, a body donor and a power and drivetrain donor. I've got both engines and transmissions out and on the floor in my shop. I had the converters mixed up. once I tried the other one, it went on in a matter of minutes. Seems odd though. the transmissons are the same. shouldn't either TC work in either trans?

Anyway, What I learned from the experience: Do yourself a favor when taking the transmission off: make sure the torque converter remains in place.

Back