• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE SYE on NP242

Onkover

NAXJA Forum User
After installing the 3.5" RE lift I am in need of a longer drive shaft or the SYE and a new shaft. I thought why mess around with the solid driveshaft. I bought the SYE kit fron Rubicon Express for my np242 that is a hack and tap kit. After trying to install myself have burned up tons on money on bits tryin' to **** the main shaft. I have even sent it to a shop to see if a " pro" could get the job done and he burned up about $200 in bits. WTF? I know there is people that have installed this kit. Can anyone help on the install? Living in the Redding Ca. area I have even contacted the local 4WD shop and they flat refused to even try to install. Can anyone help me? Should I give in and bite the cost of the SYE kit and go with just a longer solid driveshaft? Any help or advice is greatly needed.

Well I had the same problem trying to drill and tap I am not saying that this is safe but I really dont care if it is but I JB welded mine on and it is holding up fine.

Did you hack it first?? I have tried (a test hole) on the surface at the end before hacking and I busted a bit... then I took the grinder out and cut off a bit at the end and tried drilling and that made all the difference in the world.

ANyways, when I finally cut off as prescribed and I started drilling , I went out and by my own bits. Now I'm trying to remember which ones, and I think they were cobalt. The combination of those and a cutting oil worked fine. I used one each (small pilot, next size up and the final size) and the bits are still usable. FWIW when I was buying the bits I talked to the guy running the tool department at my local HD, and he said.... slow speed is the trick. The fast drills would make it easy to brake bolts, so I took it slow and easy and all went fine (although I did dread having to drill out bits....)

Kejtar
P.S. OK... I personally didn't drill... I conned my dad into drilling :D :D as my holes ALWAYS come out crooked...

Back