• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5spd and AW4 swap

redneckjeeper94

NAXJA Forum User
Alright here is what I plan on doing, I have a 94 cherokee with a 5spd currently in it, 250xxx miles on it, Im not that keen on keeping the 5spd i much rather have an auto. My transfer case chain is also gettin loose and starting to act up. I am getting an AW4 with 70k original miles on it on friday from a 92 cherokee with a stock 321 tcase to swap into my 94. What I am wondering if this is just going to be a bolt in installation or am i going to find a few minor projects while im trying to install it?

You'll also need the AW4 wiring harness & TCU. Not sure, but you might need the ECM as well.

http://radesignsproducts.com/default.aspx

Use this and you will not need the ecu or tcm. It wires directly into the three wires on the trans. Run 12v and your done. I have the rail shifter in my Jeep and it works great. Go to the tech info page to see the wiring diagram on how to hook it up.

honestly the amount of time i spent looking for a 5 speed cherokee was like trying to find an automatic in a wrangler so to speak. If i was you i would move on to another cherokee with lower miles. To make the swap to me would not be worth it b/c of trying to harness it up right.

Back