• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
Im confussed, the Pioneer seems to be the most common, yet gender confussed XJ package around.

"The Cherokee Pioneer package was especially popular in 1988 as Jeep enjoyed stong demand for its products"

What did the Pioneer offer. So far from the Pre '88 versions Ive come to it offerend the NP-242 and the 2.8L V6, but nothing to tell me what it offered in '88.

Mine has the Select-Trac, and the PowerTech 4.0L, and a cross threaded fabric seat with headrest. The trim itself is the plastic strip with a chrome band in the middle. Ive also seen others that look the base model on the outside, and are badged Pioneer. So whats makes a Pioneer a Pioneer. Details please...Interior, colors, packages?

i know the larado came with crome mirrors and i do belive bumpers. but it would be great to find what all the models came with over the years along with the options.

Thanks 88XJSport.

Seems the Pioneer has a bit of everything.

In detail I have from front to rear:
Crome bumper, Black grille, body match fenders, 215s(not anymore), 4.0, no swing window, black mirrors, black handles, standard carpet, interior lights galore, full instruments minus tach, aw4, np242, rear defrosters, rocker seats, bumper skid, and chrome roof rack.Also 9 slot rims.

There is an xj near me that isnt being used......it is a pioneer, it is silver 4.0 d44, chrome bumpers, wagon wheels, rear defrost/wiper, clock, full gauges, carpet, leather wheel, center console, factory sunroof, full sound system, vent windows, ac, all interior lights and full time 4x4. been sittin there for 4+ years. Oh, and it only has 117,000 miles.

Last edited:
In 1988 Jeep Cherokee got named "SUV" of the year. IIRC by Consumer Reports.
My '88 new was a base model 2 dr. 4wd, 5 speed, Red exterior, gray cloth interior, black bumpers and flares., Its a bit different now.

90xj06 said:
i know the larado came with crome mirrors and i do belive bumpers. but it would be great to find what all the models came with over the years along with the options.

Not all Laredo's come with chrome mirrors and bumpers, My '88 has black mirrors and black Rear Bumper, and both are definitely stock.

Back