• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need help on a misfire

gforce_82

NAXJA Forum User
everytime i get done wheeling and turn my xj off. then fire it back up it runs ruff and throws a misfire code. when i git the code cleared it run alright. also when i just drive it on the road i don't have a problem. hope someone can help.

Post the year/engine of your XJ and the exact code to help us understand your problem. Could be a number of things including an injector type of problem.

sorry it took so long to get back. ok it a 01 with a 4.0l that has 68xxx mi. the code are p0300,random/multiple cylinder misfire,2nd p0301 cylinder1 misfire, p0303 cylinder 3 misfire, and p0304 cylinder4 misfire. they all come up at the same time

With multiple cylinder codes, the coil packs and spark plugs are not likely the problem. More likely would be some "common" component. Time to start the testing process. Could be a lot of things unfortunately; I'd probably start with fuel pressure testing, then individual sensors.

Welcome to the 2001 XJ.
It's a common fault that many of us suffer with.
For some reason the 2001 has a heat soak problem, maybe caused by the two mini-cats located just below the manifolds.
I tried all the suggested fixes, including the Factory's, without success.

I get it almost anytime when climbing up a long steep trail or on a hot day. Shut the engine off for a few minutes and then restart. The engine runs rough and stumbles for 20-30 seconds and the CEL goes on. The codes shows misfire on cylinder 3, 4 or multiple cylinder misfire.

My solution is to run the aux cooling fan for a few minutes after shutting the engine off. I made it easy by adding a relay, a push-button switch and a adjustable 12-volt timer.[FONT=&quot] Running the fan for three minutes cures the problem. [/FONT]

Gforce82, use the SEARCH function for the words "heat soak". There are a few interesting threads that you may want to read which describe symptoms similar to yours. Sounds like it is pretty common on your vintage.

In the threads, fixes varied (along with the success rate; not everyone was helped) but included installation of a heat shield, a flash update for the PCM that changes when cooling fans come on and one guy even had luck changing to a cooler thermostat.

Back