• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire sizes, 4.88 gears, waggy front 44? etc.

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
So along with my other extreme list of mods to the truck, I just bought a xj 44 rear with 4.88's, welded, disc conversion, and matching 4.88 gears for the front with setup/install kit. this is all new with zero miles

anyways,

The truck is an 87 swb with dana 44 rear and 4.10 gears, and 33" tires...but they're bald and need replacing by spring. I'm running 6.5" of lift on shortarms, and am not into trimming excessively. power is no problem...It's mid-HO conversion with a punched 4.0 with borla, 62mm TB, 2k intake, etc.

what size tires do I need in order to run decent RPM at 65 mph? I don't mind if it's 2700 or 2800 rpm, but as it is with 33's and 4.88's I think I'd be somewhere around 4000...and that's no good. the truck won't be driven on the interstate regularly, but if I don't have a tow rig/trailer, I still need to get the 4 hours to McCaslin, Rib Lake, or Attica.
similarly, what size tires do you think I can fit in there? I'm thinking I should longarm it and lift it another couple of inches... as I say, I don't want to trim up the body...at least not the bed. front fenders I could care less about. the inner fenders will be trimmed for clearance too.

also, I'm keeping the dana 30 front, unless I can sell the gears and get a waggy 44 front or something along those lines, shorten it, and regear it. does anyone have full info on what needs to be done regarding shortening the axle? I don't need specs or anything on mounting it...that's easy. but, turning and shortening then getting the right shafts made, and if the hubs can be altered to be a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

Thanks,

Pat

aw4 automatic

sorry, I forgot to post that

it's really that low of rpm?

also, what kind of gas mileage do you get? this doesn't matter much, but *shrug*

meh. I was getting 16mpg with the renix 4.0 before I burned holes in 3 pistons, almost hydrolocked it, then seized it up a few weeks later :p. I can take more power and the same fuel mileage :D

thanks guys :D

Back