• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reoccuring problem

jeep210

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so let me start from the beginning. I bought a 1985 Jeep Cherokee with a 2.8 liter v6 about a month ago. As far as I could tell the only problem was a bad neutral safety switch. That I can live with. Than about a month ago she just wouldn't start. I have spark. I have fuel. If I let it sit it would start back up. Than out of no where the problem disappeared. So I start my Jeep this morning with no problem, back out my driveway and she dies. :doh: I go to start her back up and all she wants to do is crank!! If anybody has any good info to help me fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Jeep210

i dont know anything about the 2.8, but the same applies for all engines. if it cranks over with a good battery and doesnt start, you need to verify that it has a good spark and good fuel pressure. if you have both, than you need to look at timing.

if it cranks, than the nss is not the problem.

Have you checked the fuel filter? I thought most of the 2.8s came with Rochester carbs with an internal filter. Don't know about Carters.

I don't believe a ground problem would affect starting. Some of the 2.8s did have a computer and O2 sensor controlled feedback system but I wouldn't think a problem with that system would keep the thing from starting.

Hard to compare after such a short time but I had a similar problem with my 85 carbed 2.5 that came and went over a couple of months. Long story short, after the third filter it magically went away for good. I can only assume a bad batch of gas although I obviously went through several tankfuls during that time.

My mistake it is a rochester and not a carter. Dont know how I got them mixed up. Just replaced the ignition control module and still the same story. God I miss my 4.0!

My mistake it is a rochester and not a carter. Dont know how I got them mixed up. Just replaced the ignition control module and still the same story. God I miss my 4.0!

i would pull the spark plugs and clean them off. after repeated attempts at trying to start it, the plugs could be soaked with gas.

Back