• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buggy spring set up on an xj?

Mambeu said:
Quarter-elliptical springs, I assume.

butch, try searching for 'quarter elliptical'. It's been done on XJs, and discussed here before.

I don't know if he's talking about quarter ellipticals or not but these are buggy springs.

P1010021s.JPG

You would just need to attach the buggy spring to the xj's unibody and then to your leaf spring via a shackle, but no I don't think I've seen anyone do it on an xj so I have no specific pics.

I think he means a single leaf mounted up to the unibody and the other end put the top bolt of the shackle through. When flexed the leaf will pull away allowing more droop.

If this is what you mean, don't do it. funning handling and unloading. Very unpredicatable and unstable.

Matt

shortxjdoug said:
thats correctly termed a 3/4 elliptical setup i believe.....

3/4 elliptical is similar, but it's 3/4 of a spring pack, secure to the frame, and then to a shackle mounted to an axle.

He wants a buggy spring like the one shown in the picture.

Haven't heard of it done on a XJ. I know for the front of the CJs, they bolt them to the frame rail. Take pictures if you do it.

Oh, btw, ride shouldn't be any worse than with revolvers on.

Trailbst said:
3/4 elliptical is similar, but it's 3/4 of a spring pack, secure to the frame, and then to a shackle mounted to an axle.

Haven't heard of it done on a XJ. I know for the front of the CJs, they bolt them to the frame rail. Take pictures if you do it.

Ive seen that done on a lot of toyotas. I dont know if I would trust the leaves bolted to the frame rail. Not sure how you would do that on the unibody.
Why not just link it? Might take a little more work, but would probably work a little bit better.

Trailbst said:

Incorrect. You need to look at it as being elliptical. If you were to take two leaf springs, flip one over and set it on top of the other one, it would be full elliptical. Kinda like this () but sideways. The picture shown is 3/4 elliptical, as one 1/4 is missing. A standard leaf spring is 1/2 elliptical. Using half a leaf spring makes it 1/4 elliptical.

rocklandxjer said:
also, there is no need for it to be shackle mounted to the axle... many people use rollers to reduce drop steer

This thread wins the weekly double secret prize for the most irrelelvant, incorrect and conflicting information in under 10 posts.

Motornoggin has it correct.

RocklanderXJ, if you think the method of attaching the leaf spring to the axle has anything to do with rollsteer (or axle position at all), I'd love to see a picture of how that would work.

Back