• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone ever done this?

mknack

NAXJA Forum User
This may be a stupid question, but has anyone ever replaced all of their steel brake lines with flexible braided lines? I know that they would flex when you brake, but if the lines were mounted down really well, is it possible to use them? The only reason I would even think about it would be the ease of installing them vs the hard steel lines.

I have been having problems wiuth my brakes recently where my XJ pulls hard left when I brake. It does it even when I put it in neutral, so I dont think its torque steer. I have already replaced both calipers and pads, and it still does it. The only other thing I can think of is a bend or dent in one of the hard lines. I was just brainstorming about the possibility of using all braided lines and thought I would throw it out there and see what everyone thought. Any info would be great, thanks

tire pressures even all around?
severely worn brake rotor?
or at one point, someone had just one rotor turned or replaced?
any vibes while driving, either thru the brake pedal or a shakey steering wheel?
could also be air trapped in the line/caliper on the passenger side.
i would try bleeding them 1st/again before spending any money on parts, especially if you just recently installed the new caliper/pads.

sorry it doesnt answer your question about the braided brake lines.

Yes to all. Tire presure is even, both rotors turned, brakes were bled when calipers were changed. I hate being a part changer instead of diagnosing the problem, but Im not sure what it is.

Did you check for divots in the steering knuckles? There is no slide guide for the XJ calipers, they slide on the steering knuckle and can eventually grind away enough metal on the knuckle to allow them to stick.

Back