• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

local know how

nitrospeed

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone here localy changed axle seals on a c clip d35 with backyard tools. I dont have the money to take it to the shop and ive sprung a massive leak. I did post this in the repair area. Just wanted to ask somone i really knew. Thanks Jeff

Cool then. I wll yard it apart this weekend then. Hey Rod do you know what year that limited slip rear end you sold me was? Or does the year matter for that c clip rearend part

oooh dustin for the win, now that I think of it you're right. that configuration might be even easier to fix. no carrier pull right?

I can't believe that nobody has said to ditch the 35 yet...

-Alex

If you knew how his Jeep was used, there is really no point in ditching the 35. Nitrospeed is doing the same thing in rally that I do with my WJ. But you're right I am suprised no ones said it yet, lol

Neither requires carrier pull. If it's a '90 axle, though... it's probably not c-clip. Easiest way without special tools is to pull the wheels and drums, unbolt the axle flange (4 nuts), slide the whole assembly out. Then take it to your local Napa or machine shop, have them press the bearings and seals off and press the new ones on. The bearings are approx. $30-45 each and seals are $8-10 each and expect to pay $50-75 in labor.

Now, IF the axle really is c-clip, pull the cover, pull the center pin and c-clips, slide the shafts out, pop seals out /w screwdriver and push the new ones in.

J

That makes it easier, but then it's probably NOT a '90 axle.

I'll let mojojojo chime in on the year of the axle, though I'm 99% sure its a 90. I helped him pull it and am 100% sure it was factory.

I was under the impression that 90 was a split year for the c-clip/non-clip axle, later manufacture dates had the c-clip axle

Back