• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35 c clip axle seal

nitrospeed

NAXJA Forum User
Can this seal be changed with regular tools? I dont have a press and i really need to seal up my massive leak. I know how to pull the axle put not how to change the seal backyard style. I dont have the bucks for a shop right now. Thanks the axle is a 93 c clip

No special tools or press required for this job on a c-clip D35 axle, although a slide hammer might be helpful for pulling the bearing race if you can borrow one. I'm not sure how much of a press fit it is. I think the last one I did I ended up shoving a piece of 1/2" conduit all the way through the axle shaft and using a rubber mallet to lightly tap the old bearings out.

Replace the bearings while you are in there. If the bearing munches it has a tendency to tear up the surface on the axle shaft it rides on which ruins the shaft. Also the main reason for a leaky seal is a bad bearing.

You can probably find a better writeup by searching, but here is a quick run down on the steps from memory. Start by jacking up the vehicle, putting jack stands underneath, and removing the tires. As a safety tip, slide the tires under the edge of the vehicle so that if it falls it doesn't go all the way to the ground. Remove the diff cover and drain gear oil (kinda happens at the same time). Pulling the little screw that holds the cross pin in the differential carrier. I think it takes a 1/4" (?) 12-pt wrench. Pull the cross pin, push the axle shafts inward until you can get the c-clips out. Once they are out, simply pull the axle shafts out. Inspect them for damage where the bearing rides and set aside. Axle bearing and seal should be right there. Remove old ones and tap in new ones. Finally. in the immortal words of Haynes "reverse the above steps for reassembly".

Personally, I found the non-clip axle easier because you don't have to crawl under the Jeep to pull the diff cover. Then again I do have a bearing press and a dremel tool for getting the old bearing off.

Back