• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
So my Headliner is sagging in every possible place it can sag. I do not have the know how nor the patience to install a new one myself. My question is, what are the negatives to pulling the headliner and then foam and just having metal up there? I mean it would be black, and thinking it might not be too bad.

I've got a black XJ.. I did what you're planning on doing.

It got very hot, you could not touch the inside of the roof on a hot summer day. My a/c would fight against the heat of the roof and work poorly. You get alot more road noise, vibrations, etc. In the winter I imagine you have a problem of it being freezing cold inside.

I went to the Junkyard and hunted around, found an XJ with a recently redone headliner (tweed with flames) and pulled that one, put it in mine.

Get a junkyard headliner, its worth it.

Mine's been without a headliner for several years now. I suppose it gets hotter/colder than it would if it had one but it's not noticeable. I do plan on installing a new headliner though......................one day. :rolleyes:

Jeeppics9808008.jpg

Jeeppics9808006.jpg

i pulled mine cause the deteriorating foam kept falling all over my stuff, and the main problem i have is that the roof will tend to give in at highway speeds in the wind, itll scare the crap outta you too. but as far as temp goes its nothing unbearable

You can use one from any year XJ. If you have late model 97-01s available, snatch one from any of those years, they work beautifully and have better lights and speakers molded in.

It is so easy to repair, I don't understand why anyone would not fix theirs.

If you live in a cold climate, I would imagine condensation would be a huge issue.

i dont have mine and havent for a long time. didnt really make that much of a difference. but like redneck said mine is red too and that could have somethin to do with it. mine was damaged to bad to repair and just havent replaced it yet.

I took mine into a local shop here in Tampa and they removed the old fabric and foam and installed new foam and fabric to the molded headliner board. Took about 2 hours for the removal resurfacing and install, and cost me $150. It looks great. Oh I have a 98 XJ 4 door.

I used regular black paint and sanded off the foam and just painted over it and it looks awesome and everything mounts back up just as flush as it was before. IMO I think it looks alot sportier.

So my Headliner is sagging in every possible place it can sag. I do not have the know how nor the patience to install a new one myself. My question is, what are the negatives to pulling the headliner and then foam and just having metal up there? I mean it would be black, and thinking it might not be too bad.

most auto parts stores sell plastic headliner screw-in pins that hold up headliner.

You can just pull down the old fabric and buy new. It goes up really nicely and extremely easily with some adhesive spray and just a little time. My cousin Zack just did camo in his 1991 Chevy extended cab and it looks badass. :guitar:

go to walmart they have fabric cheap and will cut the size you need. just dont get some thats thick and heavy or it will sag again. they also have the 3m stuff to put it on with.

^ Nice to see I'm not the only one with the cross roof supports bowed in. With it out you'll hear more road noise, in the winter it'll be a little colder inside, in the summer it'll be a little warmer but the roof will be very hot to the touch. It's not that hard to redo the headliner yourself. If you've got a garage that's heated in some way pull the old material off, brush off the old dried dusty glue, spray on new adhesive (3m spray adhesive), then place whatever fabric you like over it and smooth it all out with your hands (making sure to leave a little around the edges to fold over.

go to walmart they have fabric cheap and will cut the size you need. just dont get some thats thick and heavy or it will sag again. they also have the 3m stuff to put it on with.

It's not that big of a job, maybe three hours. I have a bunch of picture from doing mine. If i can find them I will do a little write-up

Back