• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Arrrgh!!! NP231 jumping put of gear!

89XJPIG

NAXJA Forum User
My NP231 xfer jumps out of gear only when in 4WD Hi and while driving up inclines. It lets go w/ a loud bang followed by the sounds of gears grinding. Pulling over, shifting back into 2WD then 4WD temporarily re-engages it.

This problem NEVER happens when the xfer case is cold and never happens in 4WD low. It usually takes 10 miles or so before it lets loose.

Mods to my 89 XJ are 6.5" susp, SYE, Woods shaft. No T-case drop.

Anyone have experience with any of the issues I'm dealing with?

Last edited:
Check your linkage; may be out of adjustment or loose from wear, or possibly a worn shift collar not fully engaging the gears.

Check your linkage; may be out of adjustment or loose from wear, or possibly a worn shift collar not fully engaging the gears.

that's what i was gonna say.

check the linkage, have it adjusted if it still does it it may be time for a new t-case, how many miles are on the case?
[

Over 200K..I did partially rebuild it after this though.......
OURNEWHOUSESEPT2006299.jpg

OURNEWHOUSESEPT2006302.jpg

I'll definitely look into making some linkage adjustments.

jesus. How did that happen?

~James

Pure ignorance on my part. I thought it would be a good idea to go wheelin' after installing my lift. The problem was..I hadn't installed my SYE yet. I hit a large bump at high speed..compressed my suspension/driveline..and snapped the output shaft and tail section clean off my xfer.

Lesson learned!:doh:

Pure ignorance on my part. I thought it would be a good idea to go wheelin' after installing my lift. The problem was..I hadn't installed my SYE yet. I hit a large bump at high speed..compressed my suspension/driveline..and snapped the output shaft and tail section clean off my xfer.

Lesson learned!:doh:

:scared:

Mine pops out of reverse. Doesn't matter if I'm in 4WD or not. I have to hold the shifter back in order to reverse. How do I adjust the linkage... I've never messed with that before. Is it hard?

mine used to pop out of 4lo.. turned out to be part of the linkage was bent and not getting it all the way into gear... i would start checking there.

I had the same problem last year it turned out to be the linkage but if that doesn't work then like it was said already it could be the shift collar.

Mine pops out of reverse. Doesn't matter if I'm in 4WD or not. I have to hold the shifter back in order to reverse. How do I adjust the linkage... I've never messed with that before. Is it hard?

that'd be your tranny... haha check oem tech. i'm sure there's something there

Yeah I have the same problem. Thing is if I get under it and use a big fing stick or something i can push it the rest of the way and stays. I just dont take it out of 4lo untill I am done for the day.

But it's not OEM... origionally had an automatic in it :spin1:

haha well then that's what you get for buying an auto in the first place hehe.

i'll answer your question anyway... the thing about it is, the "linkage" you speak of is all inside the tranny. it's shift forks and gears. there's no linkage like there is on an transfer case.

:) good response anthony hehe

I had the same exact problem then my car totally stopped movin and would only rev up i ended swapping the whole case i will post some pictures on here of my old one it completely cracked the shell and the gears were shards of metal

Back