• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.55 gears, d30, 8.25 w/locker on 33's

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
Title pretty much says it; I've a d30 in front with 297x u-joints, and a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear with a powertrax no-slip locker. Both axles have got 3.55 gears and I'm running 33x12.50, I bought it like this, am I missing out on power or anything?

ddeadserious said:
Is it risky to do 4.56, or is that the safe limit?
It's safe and a necessity with the 35's you are planning. You will be generating way too much heat in your AW4 auto and suck gas like crazy trying to get and keep your XJ to speed on the road. Those are nice axles, I have them in my 98' XJ but have the crappy 3.07 gears with the 5 speed manual. Mines's a dd so not a biggy and I have small tires. Do it right the 1st time and get 4.56 gears rather than 4.10s like some might suggest with 33's. 4.56 gears are a not bad, but your tranny will be hunting for a gear with 35's, I'd stick with the 33's and not worry so much about breakage and you will get up to speed and keep it better than if you had 35's, the 1" of more ground clearance isn't worth the worry and dissatisfaction of MPG and keeping up your speed on road. Offroad you will be fine with either with a auto.

Man...thank GOD I wheeled the piss out of mine with stock gears and lockers on 3.54 gearing for years and had a blast with it before everybody said I couldn't do it and that I would blow my entire rig up and I wouldn't make it 100 yards down the trail.

You will like your rig a LOT more with gearing. Gearing is good. But, if you can't afford it right now, wheel the piss out of it and watch the stares from people with tons of gearing as you get over climbs they couldn't due to their lack of wheelspeed:D

Big Red said:
It's safe and a necessity with the 35's you are planning. You will be generating way too much heat in your AW4 auto and suck gas like crazy trying to get and keep your XJ to speed on the road. Those are nice axles, I have them in my 98' XJ but have the crappy 3.07 gears with the 5 speed manual. Mines's a dd so not a biggy and I have small tires. Do it right the 1st time and get 4.56 gears rather than 4.10s like some might suggest with 33's. 4.56 gears are a not bad, but your tranny will be hunting for a gear with 35's, I'd stick with the 33's and not worry so much about breakage and you will get up to speed and keep it better than if you had 35's, the 1" of more ground clearance isn't worth the worry and dissatisfaction of MPG and keeping up your speed on road. Offroad you will be fine with either with a auto.

Yeah this is my daily driver, the 35's were just an idea because the previous owner did some major trimming because he used to have a smaller lift while still running 33's, so I could easily fit 35's. But you raise a valid point, the tires are more expensive and I don't want to mess with anything else just for 1" more clearance. Thanks for the advice, I'll stick with the 33's and get 4.56 gears.

bobnoxious said:
Man...thank GOD I wheeled the piss out of mine with stock gears and lockers on 3.54 gearing for years and had a blast with it before everybody said I couldn't do it and that I would blow my entire rig up and I wouldn't make it 100 yards down the trail.

You will like your rig a LOT more with gearing. Gearing is good. But, if you can't afford it right now, wheel the piss out of it and watch the stares from people with tons of gearing as you get over climbs they couldn't due to their lack of wheelspeed:D

hahahah alright. I'm good on the trail and I keep up with my buddy with a Rubicon on 35's, I actually lead usually, he's really afraid of breaking his rig. Will regearing hurt my ability to climb steep hills, or were you just using it as an example?

ddeadserious said:
hahahah alright. I'm good on the trail and I keep up with my buddy with a Rubicon on 35's, I actually lead usually, he's really afraid of breaking his rig. Will regearing hurt my ability to climb steep hills, or were you just using it as an example?
regearing will only restore the power you lost from getting bigger tires, it will not hinder you in any way!

Big Red said:
spoke like a true nobleman

ddeadserious said:
ohhh alright, I have to regear them at the same time, right? And will I need to get a new locker for my rear?

Yes, regear both at the same time OR disconnect the front driveline and only regear rear.

No, you will not need to get new locker, just a new carrier. Which shouldn't be more than $60.

SBrad001 said:
Yes, regear both at the same time OR disconnect the front driveline and only regear rear.

No, you will not need to get new locker, just a new carrier. Which shouldn't be more than $60.

Alright thank you, but what's a carrier?

ddeadserious said:
Alright thank you, but what's a carrier?

LOL! Dude, yer funny!

Ok, Differentials 101. The carrier is the center assembly in the differential that the ring gear bolts on to. Carriers are made in two different sizes, one for smaller gear ratios and one for larger ratios like 4.10 and 4.56.

Your NoSlip locker resides inside this carrier and replaced the original innards of the carrier. This type of locker is commonly reffered to as a 'lunchbox' locker.

On the other hand if you had a Detriot Locker, or an ARB Air Locker, you would have to replace the entire locker assembly because the locker doubles as the carrier.

I hope this helps.

ddeadserious said:
haha alright thanks.
I know about engines and everything else, but I'm new to 4wd and axles and differentials.

It's cool! :D

Axles are much more simple to understand than engines, but they are also a BIGGER PITA to set up. But the principles of there operations are simple enough.

ddeadserious said:

I've seen plenty of XJs with 2-3" lift and 31" tires make CJ/YJ guys with 33's and even 35's look stupid. I like my 37's, but I cannot daily drive it and it isn't that much fun to drive on the street with all the turns and hills etc up to the mountains to wheel. I love the sleeper XJ look with lots of trimming, keeping to a budget and wheel with 31-33" tires and having fun and also have a good daily driver as well. XJs are such a versatile vehicle, if I were to do it again, I'd go with 4.56 gears, and my ARB front/detroit in my XJ dana 44. I had 35" MTRs and that was a bit much with my 4.56 gears and stock 2.72 t-case gearing in my 231 but very doable with the auto tranny.
You will also serve yourself well to buy someone's 30/44 or 30/8.25 built axles when they go with 44/44 or 44/9" or 44/60 etc. Keep it cheap and have fun and make those cheerleader Jeeps look bad with their big lifts and short wheelbase.

Troy

Back