• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balljoint and Brake Questions

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My 94XJ currently has an 89 front axle, brakes, etc. A couple months back we converted this housing to non-disco, and re-did the ball joints and unit bearings at the same time. Less than a month after I think I bent the axle as its been leaking diff fluid from the tubes pretty frequently.

I've got my eye on a 99 HP30 to pick up to build.

Is there any benefit to the 99 brakes over the 89 ones? Is it possible to use those ball joints I just put in the 89 housing in the 99's?

I believe you can press out the balljoints and try to reuse them again. I wouldn't use an impact to press them out. Be very careful. There's a chance they'll get damaged from being pressed out as well.

Sort of like a ujoint and the bearings in the caps....yes there are times you can successfully press them out and reuse, but there are other times you can damage them, even new units.

So what's the worse that can happen, besides have to to buy new balljoints anyway? I'd give it a try. That's what I was going to do when I contemplated replacing my D30, but instead decided to keep it and had the CA mount cut off, straightened, then welded back on instead. I had done 4 new Moog balljoints, new carrier and pinion bearings and races as well. Really didn't want to lose all that to a junkyard replacement!

Maybe its a bad seal.. Seals are cheap and not that difficult to replace compared to swapping axles. Well unless its bent.

Good Luck

Nick

Maybe its a bad seal.. Seals are cheap and not that difficult to replace compared to swapping axles. Well unless its bent.

Good Luck

Nick

I'll spare you the saga I've been dealing with but I'm on the 2nd seal in as many months and still have the issue.

So no opinions on the late binders vs the early ones? I guess I'll stick to the early ones since I have new unit bearings for them.

Back