• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjusting Transfer Case Linkage

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I have tried searching and here is what I have found as far as procedure to adjust the Linkage:

Straight from the FSM:

SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
(1) Shift transfer case into 4L position.
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Loosen lock bolt on adjusting trunnion (Fig.
87).
(4) Be sure linkage rod slides freely in trunnion.
Clean rod and apply spray lube if necessary.
(5) Verify that transfer case range lever is fully
engaged in 4L position.
(6) Tighten adjusting trunnion lock bolt.
(7) Lower vehicle

Here is my issue. I cannot for the life of me get the lever into 4-lo. The only way I can get it in is the have the car on, shift trans to N, shift into 4-lo, while still holding the lever back, I then have to shift into drive on the trans or it pops out. So, I cannot adjust the linkage because I can't get it into 4-lo. Any suggestions?

Well, I tried that and when I try to pull the range lever on the TC all the way back into 4-lo I can't. It will go to Neutral but that is it. I verified it was in neutral because the front output shaft still turned. I did this with the wheels on the ground. I wasn't really sure why the instructions say to have the vehicle raised.

Well, I tried that and when I try to pull the range lever on the TC all the way back into 4-lo I can't. It will go to Neutral but that is it. I verified it was in neutral because the front output shaft still turned. I did this with the wheels on the ground. I wasn't really sure why the instructions say to have the vehicle raised.

If the lever is borked the tcase needs repaired

So maybe you have a transfer case issue and your 4x4 shifter mechanism is just fine.

loosen the bolt, stick a 1/8th drill bit between the back of the shift plate and the shifter, pull back on the shifter, have someone tap on the trunnion and lube it till it slides into position. Then have them tighten the bolt back down.

that is what i did and it worked great. Rig would pop out of 4lo or 4 hi before, now it stays just fine.

Back