• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clock, Radio, and power antenna...what do they all have in common?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
First, I searched...found nothing that really helped, if you find anything...please share.

'89 Limited XJ
Original problem: No start/crank after shorting my aux stuff in the fuse box. Replaced the starter it cranked, and would only start if jumped by a CAR (jumper box didn't work), then I replaced the CPS...it needed to be jumped the first few starts but now she starts on her own...however, I have to rev the engine at start or it'll die.

Things changed in last few months:
-New battery
-New alternator
-New batter terminals
-New Starter
-New o2 sensor
-New CPS
-New TPS
-New speakers
-10g wire direct to battery with aux stuff (hella 500s, 50w rev. lights, CB)
-buncha other stuff I don't see relevent...

Things I've checked:
-Starter relay (switched it a couple times, no change)
-Main engine to firewall ground
-Map plug, and varrious other sensor plugs cleaned
-Relays unplugged and reconnected all I could find, they look good.
-fusible links (look like crap, but all have good power)

So now I noticed my glove box light doesnt work anymore, in addition to my antenna (power), radio, clock, and I still do not have power to the aux spots in my fuse box. I don't have any interior lights other then the glove box, so I don't know about those (all are removed/dont have any to replace with), and my rear windshield wiper does work (so not ignition related?). Here's a diagram of a possible relation, but I'm not a big electrical guy...and I have no idea where this stuff is located. (so please show more pictures of ground locations, etc. if possible)

12860880rs4.gif

~Scott

No one?

~Scott

Take a look at this thread regarding the "brown wire" issues. This controls a lot of the items that are not functioning on your XJ.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=942826

I hope this helps a little. Also do a search using "brown wire". I got a lot of current matches to it and there might find more good info.

Grounds. No mention of cleaning them on the wiring loom on the fenders, the block, etc.

All that electricity has to get back from the chassis and block back to the terminal. Bad grounds stop the flow. Older cars always have problems with grounds.

I agree... Unbolt all grounds and use a dremmel with a filing tip, and file the connectors and the metal contact areas to a nice shiny raw metal. and make sure they make full flat contact when you hook them back up. That will rule that problem out, and make your truck run better...

Well this is my problems...where are all these grounds!? The only one I know of is on the firewall and very obvious.

~Scott

From the firewall to the engine (I replaced that strap with a REAL ground wire on mine.) From battery to the dipstick bracket, and battery to the fender wall.

Before we go too deep, it's important to remember than on an 89 the clock, radio memory, and interior lights all share the same fuse. It may not be labeled for all the functions it covers. Check the interior light fuse. It may look good and not be.

I went threw and pulled the plug for the clock (it was blown) and replaced that, then I went threw and replaced all the fuses I had extras for, I just need to check the others.

~Scott

Back