• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sloppy steering after lift

higherelevation

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a 3.5" inch lift this weekend on my 96 cherokee. Coils in the front and block in the rear. I am going switch the rear to a spring lift soon. The sway bar is hooked up in the front. I relocated the track bar. I am still using the stock size tires and shocks. I have new shocks on the way off of a JK. I also still have to do an alignment. I took it our for a test ride and I feel like the steering is sloppy. I feel like there is more play in the wheel. It is worse in 2wd than in 4wd. When I was at stock height the steering was good. I am just wondering if I need to install a drop down pitman arm? Will the shocks help this? Will bigger tires help?

Thanks

How far is your toe out of spec? Re-align your toe in your driveway and take it for a spin. Only takes a few minutes to accomplish.

Thanks for the input. How do I adjust the toe? I tried to search it and nothing cam up? I am willing to try anything to make it better.

You can do all that yourself, no need to take it to a shop. There is a website on how to adjust the toe in, steer ahead, and castor. Those are the 3 biggies on a cherokee. ALL of those go out of whack when you lift it, and all need to be adjusted for.

It is in right now for the alignment. They called me and said that the tie rod at the pitman arm is shot and that the steering box is going bad. i told them to go ahead a replace the tie rod and I will do the steering box soon. Might have to do the durango steering box. I heard it is stronger. I don't know if it is a direct bolt in?

Back