• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine won't shut off

mnaemark

NAXJA Forum User
87 xj iwth 4.0. I just replaced the fuel injection wiring harness and the tps sensor because the car was blowing fusable links and not starting. Now it starts and runs but will not turn off with the key. I had to pull the master relay to shut it down.

Any suggestions? the only other problem with the truck atm is that the brights wont come on because i sat on the lever on the steering column by accident. Dont know if that will cause problems but it is in the column.

Thanks

MIke

yah the key is coming all the way out. I actually made it so i could take the key out in any position years ago so that i could open the rear hatch without shutting off the vehicle. I did turn the key all the way back and the vehicle still would not shut off

also i was just able to start the car with key out and in the off position by jumping the terminals on the starter switch soooo the position of the key doesnt matter yet the radio will only power up when the key is turned to the on or accesory position

Sounds like your ignition switch is bad. It's located at the base of the steering column.

it might be i just inspected it for burnt wires and found everything to be in decent shape. The switch is only 4 months old. Im going to go ahead and switch it out. shouldnt take very long

the ignition switch is definately bad. It no longer springs back and the brackets which hold the connectors were missing when i got in there. going to put the new one in and i will post how it turns out

thanks
mike

i fixed the problem a long time ago but forgot to update. i hate when that happens so i decided to conclude any unsolved posts.

After switching out the ignition switch i had a temper tantrum and pulled the underhood harness. I went through it wire by wire and found no problems. Then upon inspecting the plug that goes into the back of the firewall i found 1 bent terminal which was touching another terminal. Bent the terminal back, reinstalled the harness and havnt had a problem since. Thanks for everyone who helped they were great ideas that put me in the right thought process to solve this one. Thanks again

-Mike

Back