• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG Mud-Terrain or M/T Baja Radial MTZ

shocknawe

NAXJA Forum User
Well I am in the hunt for a new 32inch tire and am torn between these two brands. I like the look of the M/T a little better but they are also a bit more expensive.The tires will be used mostly on road and the off road use they will see will be dirt, mud a few rocks and stuff you generally find in south east back roads.
So just wondering how yalls experience with these two brands has been and which one you would go with?

And one more question does M/T make a 32x11.50 mud tire(which is the perfect size for me) I cant find it anywhere currently online?
Thanks a bunch

The MTZ's don't come in 32's.
I've run both.
I love the MTZ's. I run them on my personal Jeep. Good on the highway, seem to wear well, great offroad traction, pretty tough too.
I ran BFG MT's on my work truck (F-150). I liked them offroad, good traction, but they were chewed up pretty fast (I work at rock mines) and didn't last long with lots of offroad miles (I switched to Buckshot Mudders on the work truck. They have held up much better and are cheaper.). They were acceptible on road, but not as smooth as the MTZ's.

I havent run them, but i heard they werent that great in comparative terms, IE there are better tires for mud, rocks, snow, sand, ice, loose dirt, tread wear, noise, and price.

Check out tirerack.com for the Kumho KL71. I've had them since September and love them. I drove the jeep on the road 95% of the time and they worked great. Soft tread compound so they stick to the road well, but don't wear like crazy. They have been awesome offroad too in many different conditions (dry dirt, soupy mud, dry rocks, wet rocks). They shine on rocks and worked awesome at 12 psi. Bonus is they are pretty cheap and come in a 32x11.5", plus they look great.

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3634.jpg

^^ That is a nice lookin jeep, sir!!

To the OP: I think that for the conditions you're describing, the MTZ would be a good choice for ya... No way a 31x10.50x15 would work for ya instead of a 32??

I watched my brothers jeep just kill it at Superlift Park on a set of 33x12.50 bfg mud terrains. He went places I had trouble with 35 boggers. We are both locked. I was very impressed with how they rode on the road, and gripped the wet rocks out there.

I have to throw my vote in on Dick Cepek Radial FC II. I put them on the family TJ and they have great road manners, and good dirt skills to boot. Plus they have skulls all over them :scottm:

I would say go for the MTZs. I love my BFG MTs but they are just not durable in the sidewall area. I have been through 3 and they are now out of roadhazzard lol. I have some friends with MTZs and they seem to do great and hold up well.

I think I am going to go with the Toyo Open Country MTs in a 35x13.50 next time.

Back